Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First whole chicken on charcoal  (Read 412 times)

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
First whole chicken on charcoal
« on: August 15, 2021, 08:11:42 PM »
My first try at a whole chicken on charcoal. It ended up much darker, looking more like a turkey.
Any ideas on how to get the skin crispy? Some of it was, but mostly it was chewy. Overall, a good bird, all of the meat stayed juicy.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 08:13:13 PM by stillgriller »
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
Re: First whole chicken on charcoal
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 08:26:17 PM »
Hot and fast produces the best poultry products IMO. Low and slow makes it chewy I've found.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 08:42:02 PM »
Hot and fast produces the best poultry products IMO. Low and slow makes it chewy I've found.

It went at 450 for an hour. The meat was great, I was just asking about the skin. Thanks.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 04:08:45 AM »
I'm surprised your skin wasn't crispy. Did you put anything up under the skin like butter ? that would help, that is my 2nd favorite way to cook a whole bird 1st is a roti. Your bird looks really good !
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 05:31:19 AM »
I’ve had similar results using this method. Skin is less crisp on the bottom half of bird.

Cook it on the top rack. Lose the stand and use a 1/4 full can of beer.  That’s all it needs to stay upright and just barely clear the lid. A stand usually makes the bird just a tiny bit to tall.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 05:55:36 AM »

It went at 450 for an hour. The meat was great, I was just asking about the skin. Thanks.
Gotcha. Did you brine the bird first? I didn't my first couple times but now it's a must IMO.
I also spatchcock all whole birds. Allows for a more even cook.

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 11:04:35 AM »
Thanks folks, I coated the chicken with olive oil, pepper, dash and a little salt. I also got that mixture under as much of the skin as I could. I did not brine it, as I try to keep the salt level low. I didn't use butter; I'll have to try that under the skin next time. If that doesn't do it, I'll go up to the rack.

I'm liking the Vortex and trying to do more than just wings, as some have said that's all it's good for. So far, I've done wings and drumsticks with coals in the middle, this bird as pictured, and a pizza (twice) on the rack with the coals reversed. So far, the results have been great, with the skin on this whole bird being the only issue. It was still really good, just not great.

ojay

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 09:49:24 PM »
I just put the bird directly on the grate, over direct heat, for the last 10 minutes or so.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 05:32:22 AM »
Looks good!  I use a vortex for wings and thighs and that's about it.  I used to spatchcock chicken with mixed results.  After getting my rotisserie basically free with a used kettle purchase I went that route and have never looked back.  Results are amazing with anything I've tried on a roti - must be the constant self basting I guess.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 03:48:34 AM »
Looks good!  I use a vortex for wings and thighs and that's about it.  I used to spatchcock chicken with mixed results.  After getting my rotisserie basically free with a used kettle purchase I went that route and have never looked back.  Results are amazing with anything I've tried on a roti - must be the constant self basting I guess.

Only used the rotisserie one time, with a Prime Rib Roast. Results were fantastic.

Next up...whole chicken!
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 05:31:07 AM »
In my experience with whole chickens, if you can't keep the temperature above 325-350, the skin won't crisp and will remain chewy.

I have done whole spatchcocked chicken using the SNS and directing the dark meat closer to the coals. The dark meat can take much more heat than the white and you can cook it until the thickest part if the breast is to temp without drying out the dark meat. But again you have to the kettle around 350F to get the skin crispy.

Hope that helps.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 04:26:49 PM »
The plan is to cook it at 250 until almost done, then ramp it up to 375-400 for crispy skin.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

WVKettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 11:43:03 PM »
I ave always done half chicken by putting a chimney of coals on one side of the grill and the birds on the other.  I place the vent above the birds ( bottom vent open and the top 3/4 open) It usually takes a hour and a half to cook them completely.  I believe that using wood chips or chunks is what makes the skin chewy.  Evey smoked chicken I have made has been that way.  It seems like just charcoal set up this way gives me the best results.  I was at a campground that was doing a Fathers Day chicken BBQ, and some folks the had both mine and their chicken.  It was said that my chicken was way better tasting with crispier skin, and fully cooked. 

Packin Heat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 03:17:57 AM »
Spatch, finish direct or rotis. Hot and fast. Everything else will disappoint.