Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 1st Brisket  (Read 302 times)

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
1st Brisket
« on: July 17, 2021, 08:28:19 AM »
Late Thursday night I was in Kroger and saw that Choice Brisket was 1.99 per pound. I bought the smallest one they had (16 pounds!) and took it home, stared at it, and decided to go ahead and cook it. I set up a B&B briquette snake in my copper 22” (B&B is perfect for the snake method-highly recommend) and placed pecan wood chunks throughout the first 2/3 of the snake. I trimmed it and seasoned it with a rub called Badass Shit (salt pepper and baking soda) It went on at 1:40am Friday morning, wrapped in butcher paper at 7:30 AM, and I pulled it at 203 degrees around 2pm. Let it rest in my cooler until dinner at 6pm. The brisket was massive, and I had to maneuver the brisket around the kettle as the snake burned, trying to keep the flat furthest from the fire.

The flat was a tad dry but still very tasty. The point was perfect. Things I learned: be more aggressive in the trimming process (the fat was fully rendered but a bit thick in many places), buy a high quality slicing knife, buy a smaller brisket or 26er because 16 pounds takes up a ton of space on the 22. All in all it was a success and I can’t wait to try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: 1st Brisket
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 09:42:28 AM »
[emoji1417]
Dude, relax your chicken.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 09:44:01 AM »
For your first brisket I would call it a complete success, you learned on your 1st what has taken many people 3 or 4 briskets to figure out. I vote for a 26er to fix the moving the brisket dilemma, but I am an enabler LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 11:36:41 AM »
Your brisket looks good for a first timer. Good to hear you like the B&B briquettes. I have only used their lump so far. I am still using up my Weber stash from the 2 years ago and will someday have to start using something else.
I agree with Joe the 26er is great for doing briskets. And yes I am an enabler as well.
My brisket cookers are an old school 26er, a modern 26er and Summit charcoal. All three turn out a great brisket.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 12:17:15 PM »
Yes, B&B perfect for snakes. Long, clean burn. You can get 14 hours of burn time if you manage the vents properly.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

johnlmaddock3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 12:19:05 PM »
Very nice.  The bark looks awesome.  I might have to try that rub.  I just did my first brisket over the 4th of July. (http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=48824.0).  Next time, I am not going to wrap in butcher paper.  I am going to cook all the way through.  Again - very nice job.
"Tolerance is not the same thing as acceptance, and acceptance is not the same thing as an endorsement"

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 12:35:16 PM »

Very nice.  The bark looks awesome.  I might have to try that rub.  I just did my first brisket over the 4th of July. (http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=48824.0).  Next time, I am not going to wrap in butcher paper.  I am going to cook all the way through.  Again - very nice job.

I got it on vacation. In Galveston but here’s the website

https://shop.specialshit.com/product/bad-ass-shit/

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 12:37:25 PM »

For your first brisket I would call it a complete success, you learned on your 1st what has taken many people 3 or 4 briskets to figure out. I vote for a 26er to fix the moving the brisket dilemma, but I am an enabler LOL

I’m gonna need you and Kneab to convince my wife I need one.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 01:03:58 PM »
What's her number, happy to make the call LOL

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 03:09:14 PM »
That can be arranged.
The first 26er is pretty easy. [emoji6]
It's the third and fourth that get a little more complicated.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2021, 04:23:30 PM »

That can be arranged.
The first 26er is pretty easy. [emoji6]
It's the third and fourth that get a little more complicated.

HA! She looked at me funny when I bought a second 22. She does enjoy the final product so I have that going for me.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2021, 05:17:09 PM »
Well done….

willian m Pineda

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2021, 04:45:55 PM »
Niceeee

Sent from my moto z3 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2021, 05:00:03 PM »
Great looking first brisket, well played!
I’ve smoked lots of packers over the years, each one is different.  It’s the luck of the draw sometimes.
Thanks for sharing your 1st brisket cook.

Cheers