Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What does a tray of water do?  (Read 528 times)

Zippo Guy

• Happy Cooker
What does a tray of water do?
« on: January 30, 2021, 03:39:36 PM »
I've noticed a lot of you have a tray, can or some other source of water under the meat during the cook.  I've heard it was for keeping the meat moist,  for catching grease, or some other purpose.  Why do you use it?

Rick
Rick

Fhar

• WKC Brave
Re: What does a tray of water do?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 03:41:27 PM »
You're corrwct for both of those reasons you mentioned. Keeping your protein moist and catching drippings off the protein. And keeping your grill ckeaner will b the next reason for me.
I've noticed a lot of you have a tray, can or some other source of water under the meat during the cook.  I've heard it was for keeping the meat moist,  for catching grease, or some other purpose.  Why do you use it?

Rick

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
What does a tray of water do?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 03:45:28 PM »
Agree with both. Help sort of steam, I’ve noticed with hot and fast helps meat from burning, or drying out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 04:01:00 PM »
It’s also a heat sink to regulate temps on low and slow.  Or at least that’s the idea.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 04:22:14 PM »
In my experience steam in the smoker or grill only increases the chance of depositing bitter creosote on the meat surface. The steam does nothing to keep the meat moist. But we all have our own opinions and techniques...

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 04:35:10 PM »

In my experience steam in the smoker or grill only increases the chance of depositing bitter creosote on the meat surface. The steam does nothing to keep the meat moist. But we all have our own opinions and techniques...
im interested in how that would deposit creosote. I’ve never had that happen unless it came from the buildup on the lid that fell off...easily removed.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 09:44:47 PM »
Water below the pan is primarily a drip pan, with drippings mixed in for a gravy. Water in pan above charcoal is for humidity in the cooker for moisture, which keeps meat from drying out and aids in smoke sticking to the meat.  Water under the meat, but above charcoal is a drip pan, adds moisture to cooking environment and is a heat sink.  Water next to coals as in slow n sear is like having the water above the coals.  Most of this info is not mine but comes from Meathead/Amazing Ribs.  I am sure there are many varying opinions and preferences.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Zippo Guy

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 09:42:11 AM »
Thank you for all of the advice.  I find it very interesting when opinions vary on the same subject.

Rick
Rick

Lilyankee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 04:07:07 PM »
I have found a little water in a drip pan simply prevents drippings from burning “bad smoke” and distorting good smoke flavor. I use this method in my offset pit as well to help balance and regulate minor temperature variation. It balances the swings in temp.

In search of Imperial and The Custom.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 05:27:13 PM »

im interested in how that would deposit creosote. I’ve never had that happen unless it came from the buildup on the lid that fell off...easily removed.

That's not creosote. That's neglect.
I'll refrain before another post dissolves...

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 09:46:35 PM »
? Really? Neglect? I say it’s love...so much, it stained the lid. Got a little love built up. I’m not going to spend more time cleaning than cooking, but FYI, I don’t let that build up any more, I’ll spray/wash the lid out every once in a while so that build up doesn’t happen.