Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Forum for the 26" kettle?  (Read 1311 times)

wingnutt

• Smokey Joe
Forum for the 26" kettle?
« on: January 28, 2021, 04:26:23 AM »
Hi all,

Is there a forum dedicated to the 26" kettle?   I can find advice and setups for the 22" everywhere, just not the 26".  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and love the 22", however the size difference does matter.
If there isn't a forum, can someone suggest a username of someone who is known for good 26" configurations?
Thank you,
wingnutt

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Forum for the 26" kettle?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 06:47:16 AM »
We don’t have a dedicated forum, but I think you just started a good conversation specific to the 26’ers with this thread.  I know many members use the larger 26 size as their daily-drivers.  I use a SnSXL in mine. 

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 07:02:09 AM »
Anything low and slow gets a snake in my 26 three wheeler, hot and fast or reverse sear the AT code 26 and the SNSXL gets the call. I love the 26 could not imagine not having it
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Forum for the 26" kettle?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 07:42:35 AM »
I also use a snake. I think I normally do 2x2 if I remember right. High heat grilling is different on a 26”. A lot of times I cook with all vents open and the lid cracked for increased air flow when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 01:47:12 PM »
Hi all,

Is there a forum dedicated to the 26" kettle?   I can find advice and setups for the 22" everywhere, just not the 26".  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and love the 22", however the size difference does matter.
If there isn't a forum, can someone suggest a username of someone who is known for good 26" configurations?
Thank you,
wingnutt
Is your 26 new or older?  The design changed years ago and I find newer ones cook differently than the older ones especially for high heat as others have said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingnutt

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 03:00:47 PM »
Oh wow!  Thank you so much for your interest.  I'll do my best to catch up here...

Mr. CPHo and JEBIV - I can see what you mean.  As much as I appreciate the charcoal baskets included with the 26er, they just aren't big enough for a true indirect cooking in such a large kettle.  They're probably perfect (if not too big) for the 22er, but in the 26 all vents have to be wide open to even hold 325F at the grate.  Now, if you used 2 of the SnSXLs, that would be the bomb-diggity.
Also, did my first snake burn last Sunday for the Packer game.  20F and snowing when I started at 5:30 am, I smoked a 7.5lb pork shoulder on a 2x3 snake that ran 3/4 way around the grill and water pan.  It was my first pulled pork that didn't need any additional sauce - delicious.

HoosierKettle - You might be too light on fuel and trying to burn what you have too hot to make up for it.  Try a 2x3 and use about 10 ashy coals to get the snake lit.  Let the whole system (w/o meat) hit 390F 'ish before putting the meat on, then run with your bottom vent 1/2 open and top vent 1/8 open.  I like having the fuel there and control the oxygen.

michaelmilitello - It's the newer design.  Just bought it a couple weeks ago.  Can you suggest any good threads that discuss the benefits/issues of the new style?  I want to learn more.

Thank you again to all,
wingnutt

wingnutt

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 03:09:45 PM »
Pic of the pork shoulder at about the 10-12 hr mark.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 06:09:37 PM »
A friend of mine cooks exclusively on his 26. Uses the Vortex shoved to one side. Usually wide side up. plenty of heat/sear zone and lots of indirect cooking space.

Also he uses a pellet tube for cold smoking.

I wish I had one myself.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 04:30:22 AM »

A friend of mine cooks exclusively on his 26. Uses the Vortex shoved to one side. Usually wide side up. plenty of heat/sear zone and lots of indirect cooking space.

Also he uses a pellet tube for cold smoking.

I wish I had one myself.

Ive done that with the vortex and the 26. Works great. I kind of forgot about that method.

wingnutt

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 12:07:03 PM »
Wouldn't you get the same effect if you used two weber baskets full of coals?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 01:28:29 PM »

Wouldn't you get the same effect if you used two weber baskets full of coals?

Pretty much. The vortex is taller and solid sided.

Zippo Guy

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 09:44:01 AM »
A section dedicated to the 26 inch was what I was looking for when I first came here. My 22 inch was bought in 1977 and I finally upgraded to the 26 inch about a year ago.  It was a fluke that I found this Weber forum.  I was excited and looking for more to help. Found out this forum seems to be more pictures of cooking and misspelling of the word great. Everyone wants to compliment the pictures. Cooking on the 26 inch is different from the 22 inch.  I'd like more how to information than pictures. If not a 26 inch section,  how about a how to section?
Rick

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 12:02:50 PM »
A section dedicated to the 26 inch was what I was looking for when I first came here. My 22 inch was bought in 1977 and I finally upgraded to the 26 inch about a year ago.  It was a fluke that I found this Weber forum.  I was excited and looking for more to help. Found out this forum seems to be more pictures of cooking and misspelling of the word great. Everyone wants to compliment the pictures. Cooking on the 26 inch is different from the 22 inch.  I'd like more how to information than pictures. If not a 26 inch section,  how about a how to section?
When you see something you like, then ask "how to".  Folks here are more than willing to share when asked.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 12:35:44 PM »

When you see something you like, then ask "how to".  Folks here are more than willing to share when asked.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

What foster said.  You could have already asked a question.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 09:21:03 AM »
What would you like know about 26 cooking?   It does behave slightly different but not too much. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk