Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Roti turkey test  (Read 2440 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Roti turkey test
« on: November 23, 2019, 10:59:28 AM »
This jackass doesn’t know what he’s doing.

https://youtu.be/oknOhh7j9cI

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
Re: Roti turkey test
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 11:02:06 AM »
Double snake for a rotisserie [emoji848] never heard of such a thing. Am I missing something [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grill on! and Go CUBBIES!!!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 11:10:09 AM »
Lovely bird!  For all the folks that fret over setup and temps, you keep it simple and straight forward.  Love the cook time measured in coors light consumption, too. [emoji1303][emoji91][emoji481][emoji884]

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 11:12:18 AM »
Lovely bird!  For all the folks that fret over setup and temps, you keep it simple and straight forward.  Love the cook time measured in coors light consumption, too. [emoji1303][emoji91][emoji481][emoji884]

Don’t think that’s the original posters bird...he’s saying the guy doing it has no idea what he’s doing.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 11:12:57 AM »

Don’t think that’s the original posters bird...he’s saying the guy doing it has no idea what he’s doing.

Ha! You fool! [emoji12]

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 11:15:48 AM »
If I’m doing a bird on a rotisserie, I want the skin crispy...this doesn’t look like it would get me the results I’d want. Why not just smoke it? Why the need for the roti? [emoji2371]

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 11:23:38 AM »

If I’m doing a bird on a rotisserie, I want the skin crispy...this doesn’t look like it would get me the results I’d want. Why not just smoke it? Why the need for the roti? [emoji2371]

Your right, you don’t need the roti but I do like the results better. The skin came out as good as any turkey I’ve done on the grill. What would make it less crispy?  It was cooking at 350 or better the entire time.

The point of the snake while doing the rotisserie was to have enough fuel to last the entire relatively high heat cook.

It’s not anything game changing but it will come in handy when I do my 20lb bird on Thursday and have to be gone a few hours.

Plus it’s just fun to experiment when you’ve gone bored of what you normally do. Thanks for having a look [emoji106]

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 11:30:20 AM »
Cool. I figured doing a snake your temps would be much lower, cause that’s the point of a snake...to keep temps low and slow. And that’s why I was asking. Do you own a slow n sear?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 11:34:19 AM »

Cool. I figured doing a snake your temps would be much lower, cause that’s the point of a snake...to keep temps low and slow. And that’s why I was asking. Do you own a slow n sear?

I do not but when I don’t use the rotisserie, I do a full lit chimney opposite the bird. I cook the bird upside down for an hour then right side up so the skin doesn’t get too dark.

What’s your set up for crispy skin?  I would like to try it.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 11:35:41 AM »
My skin was bite through and good but I wouldn’t call it crispy.

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
Roti turkey test
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 11:43:37 AM »
I just do a simple set up when using roti...full chimney...char tray on each side...drip pan in the middle. Use Weber charcoal. Turns out great!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 07:17:59 AM »

I just do a simple set up when using roti...full chimney...char tray on each side...drip pan in the middle. Use Weber charcoal. Turns out great!

Do you have to add coal as you go along?  Weber coal isn’t available in my area. Using kbb or ro, I have to load coal 2-4 times depending on the size of the turkey.

This method allows me to avoid having to reload while cooking at 350-375. This will come in handy with my 20 lb bird Thursday. I’m looking forward to it.

The 13 lb took 11.5 minutes per pound which will mean my twenty pounder will hopefully be done in 4 hours.

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 07:46:43 AM »

Do you have to add coal as you go along?  Weber coal isn’t available in my area. Using kbb or ro, I have to load coal 2-4 times depending on the size of the turkey.

This method allows me to avoid having to reload while cooking at 350-375. This will come in handy with my 20 lb bird Thursday. I’m looking forward to it.

The 13 lb took 11.5 minutes per pound which will mean my twenty pounder will hopefully be done in 4 hours.

No, haven’t had to add. But Weber Charcoal is also twice the size of KBB or regular Royal Oak and burns at least 33% longer. That’s too bad you can’t get it by you. It’s definitely a cool method you’re using,  I always like to learn something new. Was just wondering why the roti was needed but you explained for fun...and I definitely get that! Lol [emoji23] Cheers [emoji482]

jdorn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 08:56:29 AM »
Most importantly time wise, how many beers start to finish?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 08:57:12 AM »
Most importantly time wise, how many beers start to finish?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
30 rack of Busssschaaa! Lol [emoji23]