Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow n sear  (Read 10592 times)

Avey segal

• Smokey Joe
Slow n sear
« on: October 17, 2019, 03:24:16 PM »
I don't want to spend $100 on a slow n Sear. what is a good alternative?
Thanks in advance for the smart weber in this app

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
Re: Slow n sear
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 02:52:06 AM »
They have a less expensive option too.

https://snsgrills.com/collections/slow-n-sear/products/sns-charcoal-basket

But I'd be inclined to just get the weber baskets if you're going that route.

knagy88

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 03:01:13 AM »
I don't want to spend $100 on a slow n Sear. what is a good alternative?
Thanks in advance for the smart weber in this app

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Bank the coals.

Buy some steel sheet from Menards and cut with tin snips.

Use aluminum foil.

Here are examples I've used for both smoking and grilling. Never bought a slow and sear because I don't see the need.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 11:08:57 AM »
Look up “Marty Basket” under search topics.   It’s basically two Weber baskets joined with stainless hardware.   Works grate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 12:23:15 PM »
Here's the "Bigger Better Basket Case" link.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=28842.0

Retired

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 01:53:05 PM »
Here's the "Bigger Better Basket Case" link.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=28842.0
Ahhh yess finally! I saw this thread and spent hours trying to find that. Bookmarked!

Also, lots of people use a couple firebricks, end to end standing on their long edge, and pushed to one side of the kettle. Functionally pretty much the same as a Slow n Sear.
ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.

littlepigbarbeque

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 04:35:12 AM »
I have made a "marty" basket and a slow and sear.  I bought the slow n sear because it looked cool, not because I thought it would be better.  It is more convenient when cleaning out coals.  If you have unburned coal, it will stay in the basket and you can lift the while thing out in the slow n sear. 

In saying that there is no difference between how they work.  I sometimes find myself using other methods to light my fire as well.  Using the snake method is fun to do.  Also banking the coals...

Ultimately, you can cook 100 different ways on a kettle.  They really are the most versatile grill out there in my opinion.   Experiment and have fun with it.  If you decide to get the slow n sear, it is totally worth it but not necessarily the best.   I do love mine though...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

M635_Guy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 07:14:00 AM »
The S&S is mainly about convenience/easy - there's nothing magic about it though honestly I've really liked mine. 

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Slow n sear
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 09:39:58 AM »
Personally I don’t think of charcoal baskets as a convenience unless you primarily like to bake. I frequently like to cook over charcoal. You know, actually grill something lol. That means I would be removing the gadget every time I would want to grill normal. That would be a pita.

I will maintain that their main usefulness would be protecting porcelain on collector type kettles imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

M635_Guy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 03:42:41 PM »
Personally I don’t think of charcoal baskets as a convenience unless you primarily like to bake. I frequently like to cook over charcoal. You know, actually grill something lol. That means I would be removing the gadget every time I would want to grill normal. That would be a pita.

I will maintain that their main usefulness would be protecting porcelain on collector type kettles imo.
  Variety is the spice of life.
So far in my short kettle journey, I've done a lot of indirect - wings, whole chicken, shoulders, etc. and the S&S and the cone gadgets have made all of that easier for me - no futzing with bricks/etc. to set it up how I want.  Mainly the direct for me has been searing.  All of it has been so successful the direct part hasn't really been missed much.

Net: the gadgets have been great.  I'm fairly twitchy about fiddly things, and the only thing that is ringing my bells are the bolts for the side-mounted top-holder intruding into the gooking area and making it (a little) hard to get the grates on and off.  I haven't gotten to burgers yet somehow, but that will be my first real direct-cook.

Other than burgers/dogs, what are the best thing to direct-cook/grill for you?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 05:10:57 PM »

Multiple grills makes this easy. I’d say 50-60 percent of my cooking is two zone but I do a fair amount of grilling too. My kids are young still and don’t always eat what we eat so it’s mostly my wife and I. When I grill, it’s almost always the CGA unless it can’t handle the capacity, then I grill on the 22.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 05:42:24 PM »

Multiple grills makes this easy. I’d say 50-60 percent of my cooking is two zone but I do a fair amount of grilling too. My kids are young still and don’t always eat what we eat so it’s mostly my wife and I. When I grill, it’s almost always the CGA unless it can’t handle the capacity, then I grill on the 22.

A lot of my cooking is two zone as well. But more of an even 2 zone without baskets of any kind.

The cga rocks!  A wonderful little grill

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 04:29:42 AM »
or break out the ranch and you can't count all the zones you can create. I enjoyed cooking on the CGA while on vacation, direct, 2 zone and a somewhat slow smoke, it was capable of all 3 and a blast to use
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

knagy88

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 06:06:47 PM »
I mean, you can make a 2 zone easy on a 22 with no gadgets. If you are grilling direct, and plan on grilling the whole time, not just searing, then the recommended single layer of coals at the charcoal grate does just fine. For steaks, chicken, pork etc. If it's not done but you don't want indirect, move to the other half. It's literally that simple.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 06:29:25 PM »

I mean, you can make a 2 zone easy on a 22 with no gadgets. If you are grilling direct, and plan on grilling the whole time, not just searing, then the recommended single layer of coals at the charcoal grate does just fine. For steaks, chicken, pork etc. If it's not done but you don't want indirect, move to the other half. It's literally that simple.

Exactly.