Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Brisket Issues  (Read 484 times)

SeanE

• Smokey Joe
First Brisket Issues
« on: July 31, 2019, 08:35:39 AM »
I started seriously using my Weber 22" kettle.  I've got ribeye's (my favorite), flank, skirt, T-bone's down!  Moved on to a brisket.  Made a decent rub for it, tasted good.  I use the snake and my temps were 180F to just under 300F (used a 2 probe gauge).  I don't recall the exact hours but about 7 in total.  The meat was small at about 4 pounds.  Took it off the grate when the internal was about 160 and wrapped in in foil with a little juice.  Back on to 190F.

The meat came out very dry.  Like nearly jerky dry.  Clearly I messed this up something big! Same time, the flavor was damn good and me and my 2 boys ate it up like it was jerky. 

Set me straight!!  How to go about the next brisket. 

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
First Brisket Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 10:09:42 AM »
Was it just the flat?? Tough usually means under and dry/crumbly means you overcooked it. I take it you wrapped in foil? When you pulled it off did you open the foil and vent the steam? If you don’t vent the steam it will continue cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Villageofwolves

• Happy Cooker
Re: First Brisket Issues
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 03:05:41 PM »
I usually let my briskets ride up to 201-205 and pull them. I let them rest another hour or so after pulling them. I don't think using foil was an issue either. Try a full packer brisket it may be more forgiving.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 06:50:16 PM »
+1 on the packer.  Costco has prime packers for $3.39 per pound near me.  If it’s too much meat, save it for future meals.  Small flats are notoriously difficult to retain moisture.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjmolitor@gmail.com

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 07:58:42 AM »
Buy the premium whole brisket from Costco 3.39 per lb =$5 per on after trimming . U lose about 3 to 4 lbs  watch Aaron Franklin video Use the Slow n Sear Follow their video also U must let it rest for 2 hours or so I food a 12 lb reduced tom8 lbs after trim 2 dais before serving for about 10 hours then 2 hours rest keeper wrapped in foil after the stall plunged in ice to cool down keeper in fridge  Serving day put back the foil wrapped brisket ( added 1 cup beef broth to foil) on Weber 22at 200 for about 3 hours and then put in oven at 180 until serving time. Also as shown sear video says U must cook until probe goes in like butter

sjmolitor@gmail.com

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 07:59:48 AM »
Sorry for the typos

SeanE

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 04:05:38 PM »
I did wrap in foil and put some juice in there.  I din't let steam out.  dropped in a cooler after towel wrapping (foil still on).  And it was a small brisket with little fat.  I'm guessing the choice of meat had a lot to do with it.  I'm confident it was NOT a cooking temp issue. 

I have an 11 and 13 year old boy and a 7 year old girl.  My girl is tall but a skinny mini my boys are big and they eat!  A slab of brisket on top a 1/3lb burger or brisket nachos is heaven for them.  No issue on the bigger cut of meat.  I went small to learn how to do this the right way without wasting. 

Thank you guys so much for the help.