Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: It’s a skewer thing  (Read 669 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
It’s a skewer thing
« on: July 30, 2019, 05:15:20 PM »
This was ridiculously good. My own creation as far as I know. I bought pork steaks and sliced and skewered and marinated in orange juice, chili powder, cumin, Tony’s, salt, and oregano. I grilled direct and had an extra pork steak indirect with coarse salt, pepper, and bbq seasoning. Once the skewers got the color I wanted I put the pork steak direct and basted the skewers with herdez roja sauce. A couple garden jalapeños and a toasted tortilla an it was all set. I cooked the pork steak for lunch tomorrow but it got eaten as well.

Everything you see plus the tortillas and 4 ears of corn was $13.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 05:19:40 PM by HoosierKettle »

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Re: It’s a skewer thing
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 06:17:16 PM »
That looks so amazing!  Love the spices and flavors.  That's how I like to cook.  Great cook!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 07:13:50 PM »
Creative! It looks like they turned out great! I like the technique you used too.

When I was growing up my dad would put the veggies and meat all on the same skewer. The vegetables would be scorched and the meat would be dry (overcooking meat is also why I thought I hated chicken until I bought a Kettle and started grilling it myself). It took until I was married when my--much smarter--wife said it made more sense to separate the meat and veggies on different skewers since, you know, they take different times to cook. Whouda thunk it?!
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
It’s a skewer thing
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 02:55:11 AM »
Creative! It looks like they turned out great! I like the technique you used too.

When I was growing up my dad would put the veggies and meat all on the same skewer. The vegetables would be scorched and the meat would be dry (overcooking meat is also why I thought I hated chicken until I bought a Kettle and started grilling it myself). It took until I was married when my--much smarter--wife said it made more sense to separate the meat and veggies on different skewers since, you know, they take different times to cook. Whouda thunk it?!

Yes. I’ve had a lot of those dry chicken and scorched veggie skewers your talking about.  Or another classic is dry meat, raw potato, burned tough onion and mushy cherry tomatoes. They look pretty on a stick though.

I’ve gotten away with cooking peppers and onion on the same stick with meat. I’ll do that for work functions. Using boneless skinless chicken thigh instead of breast works great. People don’t realize they are eating thigh. They just assume it’s breast meat. I also like pork loin a lot. This was the first time I’ve used shoulder.

Marinated skirt steak is still my families favorite.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 04:01:48 AM »
Looks awesome!   Love the creativity!   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 04:03:02 AM »
looks awesome, I can see why the extra pork steak was eaten as well
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 09:38:19 AM »

looks awesome, I can see why the extra pork steak was eaten as well

This was only the second time I’ve made a pork steak. First time, I followed a video and did the indirect, wrap, grill and bbq sauce. It was good but I much preferred just seasoning then indirect for awhile then direct and no sauce. I’ll be making them this way again soon. They are inexpensive which is an added bonus.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 05:51:35 PM »
I wanna eat at your house!

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
It’s a skewer thing
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 09:19:45 AM »
What I found is if the meat is cut/sliced thin enough it cooks just fine, with veggies, even on the same stick. I do have to say I usually only do onion and bell pepper. Oh yeah...who cooks potato on a stick? Twice baked/grilled, is muy bueno. That looks very tasty though, great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club