Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilling area  (Read 945 times)

Tomo1970

• Smokey Joe
Grilling area
« on: June 15, 2019, 02:00:18 AM »
Hey everyone,

New guy here - been hooked for about a month now. I paid $10 for a kettle at a yard sale & now I want to grill everything.

I build a UDS a few years ago but other than that I was using gas for everything....

We do not currently have a covered porch/patio/pagoda/pergola/pavilion (the list of names goes on & on). I do all my grilling/smoking in the driveway or on the sidewalk - alright at times but I’d like to have some wind and rain protection.

On to my question: Where do you all do your grilling? Care to share some pictures/ideas for an outdoor living/grilling area? I’m considering both attached to the house and separate structures.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 02:02:32 AM by Tomo1970 »

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Re: Grilling area
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 09:29:51 AM »
Here is mine. It came with the house and all the wood is rotten, so I plan to rebuild it later this year or next.

I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Ubi

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 09:39:08 AM »
Since we don’t have a front porch, back yard or anything outside I always use my kettle on the balcony

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 01:57:26 PM »
@Ubi I'm in the same situation but now in the summer the air is dead and I can't take a chance smoking out my neighbors. Looking forward to winter again... I do have the advantage that our balconies are very open in this building, ladder railings on 3 sides, so if there is air it should ventilate well.
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

Tomo1970

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 03:52:46 PM »

Here is mine. It came with the house and all the wood is rotten, so I plan to rebuild it later this year or next.

Your backyard looks great - nice shade, definitely looks like a great place to relax.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 06:42:29 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Canopy-Rectangle-Outdoor-Facility-Activities/dp/B074NHPRY7/ref=sxin_4_ac_d_rm?keywords=sail+shade&pd_rd_i=B074NHPRY7&pd_rd_r=70f05eff-f296-45dd-a626-031f9daf1636&pd_rd_w=eZhqq&pd_rd_wg=bgUFd&pf_rd_p=91b604bb-c371-4573-970f-bed68a552852&pf_rd_r=PDNSM1AM1Y910G0TNHS2&qid=1560825409&s=gateway

Tomo, something like this might be a good set up for you.  The home I live in right now isn't really set up well for a pergola, adding a roof to the deck, and the yard is kind of slopped with only so much space.  I am currently playing with the idea of setting up hooks and movable posts for a sail shade so I could have shade and slight rain coverage for grilling and seating for guests.  I roll all of my grills out of the garage because I don't have to worry about theft or weather getting to them.  I want to set up hooks for the front of the garage and also the back deck.  This makes things more comfortable and when they get worn out, torn, and/or faded you just need to pick up another one for $40.
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Tomo1970

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 03:41:13 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/Canopy-Rectangle-Outdoor-Facility-Activities/dp/B074NHPRY7/ref=sxin_4_ac_d_rm?keywords=sail+shade&pd_rd_i=B074NHPRY7&pd_rd_r=70f05eff-f296-45dd-a626-031f9daf1636&pd_rd_w=eZhqq&pd_rd_wg=bgUFd&pf_rd_p=91b604bb-c371-4573-970f-bed68a552852&pf_rd_r=PDNSM1AM1Y910G0TNHS2&qid=1560825409&s=gateway

Tomo, something like this might be a good set up for you.  The home I live in right now isn't really set up well for a pergola, adding a roof to the deck, and the yard is kind of slopped with only so much space.  I am currently playing with the idea of setting up hooks and movable posts for a sail shade so I could have shade and slight rain coverage for grilling and seating for guests.  I roll all of my grills out of the garage because I don't have to worry about theft or weather getting to them.  I want to set up hooks for the front of the garage and also the back deck.  This makes things more comfortable and when they get worn out, torn, and/or faded you just need to pick up another one for $40.

That’s a cool idea! This could work until we figure out a permanent solution.  Thanks!

Tomo1970

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 03:48:22 AM »
Here’s some of the permanent ideas I like so far. We have an acre so space really isn’t an issue. We have 0 landscaping & the wife would like to possibly add on at some point. I’ve told the her we need a complete game plan so we aren’t redoing this down the road!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 05:53:42 AM »

Here’s some of the permanent ideas I like so far. We have an acre so space really isn’t an issue. We have 0 landscaping & the wife would like to possibly add on at some point. I’ve told the her we need a complete game plan so we aren’t redoing this down the road!!!

This is what I built last summer. I absolutely love it.

I’m still working on ideas for storage and function and decor but it’s been really great.

I don’t have much room to spare. A larger one would be nice if you can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Tomo1970

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 07:25:15 AM »

This is what I built last summer. I absolutely love it.

I’m still working on ideas for storage and function and decor but it’s been really great.

I don’t have much room to spare. A larger one would be nice if you can do it.

Nice set up - very similar to 1 of the photos I posted.

If we go with the detached route the back will likely butt up to a wooded area - I think it could be cool.

I also live in Indiana - I’m looking for a used performer, if you come across 1. Thanks!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 07:57:58 AM »
I’ll keep an eye out. I’m in greenwood.  Where are you located?

Tomo1970

• Smokey Joe
Grilling area
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 08:24:06 AM »
I’ll keep an eye out. I’m in greenwood.  Where are you located?

Thanks! Near Anderson in Madison County.