Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Humanely raised livestock  (Read 741 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Humanely raised livestock
« on: June 12, 2019, 09:19:03 AM »
I’ve been looking into buying meat from local farms that are raising their animals in a more natural way. I just don’t like what I’m seeing on the mass produced side of livestock.

Anyone else buying meat from specialty farms like this? 

I’m going to start buying meet and dairy a different way. I’m just not sure from where yet but it does look like there are some options in my area.

It’s been bothering me for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

Re: Humanely raised livestock
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 09:42:58 AM »

I have been buying my pork from our local Alameda County Fair auction for several years now.  We have a group of friends that have kids in 4H program that raise animals.  They attend the auction at the end of the fair and purchase several pigs. There is probably 20-25 of us in the group.  I only buy 1/4 of a pig as it amounts to between 130-160 lbs of pork (2 large ice chests full).  They also auction off cattle.  I just don't have the freezer space for both a 1/4 pig and beef.   

I also am fortunate to have a butcher shop in Berkeley that buys only locally-sourced, sustainably-raised animals. All of their meats come from local small farms, all within 100 miles. All of their meats and poultry are antibiotic and hormone free.   Most of the high end restaurants in the Gourmet Ghetto buy from this shop for their restaurants.  I was actually there yesterday buying a bunch of their fennel sausage. 

http://thelocalbutchershop.com/
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:48:59 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 07:00:44 PM »
I think it is always better to try and buy from your local farmer or butcher shop.  With grilling season there is almost always a farmers market in most cities/towns with someone who is selling their own meat.  If you become a regular they would probably even try to supply you during the year.  I figure buying local does three great things:

1.) You are putting money directly into your neighbor/friend's pocket rather than them selling it at the market where two or three other people eventually take a cut.
2.) Your local farmer is almost always going to treat their animals better than a large corporate feed lot.  A lot of times if they do a lot of their own processing and selling they have no problem showing you what their operation is like because they have nothing to hide. 
3.) Environmentally it is just better to buy local.  When you buy at a large national store that meat is probably more well traveled than you will ever be given it is from X different animals (rather than one) and it has went all over just to be raised, finished on feed, processed, and delivered.

I have heard that now a large corporate supermarket (take your best guess who) is looking to do their own cattle operation so they essentially cut every one else out of the chain and I absolutely hate to hear it.  I honestly believe they are going to produce an inferior product, provide poor conditions, and make it harder for the small farmer to stay in business. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Al b que

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 12:59:00 PM »
10-4

Sent from my VS988 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Al b que

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 01:03:13 PM »
Whoops talk about useless post I was texting a friend and it wound up here

Sent from my VS988 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app