Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ahi tuna  (Read 861 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Ahi tuna
« on: June 11, 2019, 05:57:36 PM »
I’ve never cooked it.  Almost done. Can’t wait to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Ahi tuna
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 03:45:07 AM »
Looks awesome, what did you think of the flavor? Tami and I enjoy it we just don't cook them enough
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 04:03:31 AM »
Salt and pepper for seasoning?   I’m starting to make more fish too.  New adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Ahi tuna
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 04:28:42 AM »
Yes, salt and pepper. They had good flavor and we enjoyed them but I dried them out a little. The package said to cook to 165 internal so that’s what I did. I was confused by the research I did. I read that you can sear and serve rare if it’s sushi grade (mine was frozen and not sushi grade), however it was kind of expensive and I also read somewhere else that freezing kills the parasites which makes that type safe to eat rare also. So I’m not sure but I didn’t take any chances.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 04:30:49 AM by HoosierKettle »

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 11:49:03 AM »
Looks good! I haven't grilled ahi tuna for years, and that was on a Spirit. At the time, I overcooked it myself. Sushi grade tuna seared briefly on both sides is the way to go, if you ask me.
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 12:07:38 PM »
Sushi grade tuna seared briefly on both sides is the way to go, if you ask me.
^^^YES^^^

Ahi tuna just needs a slight sear, and let the fish do the talking...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 01:51:10 PM »
Yes, salt and pepper. They had good flavor and we enjoyed them but I dried them out a little. The package said to cook to 165 internal so that’s what I did. I was confused by the research I did. I read that you can sear and serve rare if it’s sushi grade (mine was frozen and not sushi grade), however it was kind of expensive and I also read somewhere else that freezing kills the parasites which makes that type safe to eat rare also. So I’m not sure but I didn’t take any chances.

Anyone have any insight on this?

I read the same thing over the years so all my fish when bought fresh go into the freezer for a few days with the fast freeze button. According to my bimetal po-man's thermometer it gets down below -30 C (usually around -18 - -21C on regular)  If it comes to you frozen I think there is no concern since commercial freezing should be better (colder) than most gear people have in the house.

I cook a lot of salmon but not tuna, so I really don't know how to cook it but I understand tuna is difficult to cook. So if you can get fresh sushi grade tuna from a trustworthy shop you can probably sear it and that would be fine. I'm sure a good shop can answer how to cook it too.
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 03:45:34 PM »
For ahi tuna, you need to sear it with very high temp.  For those sizes, it will take less than 30 seconds per sides. Inside should be rare otherwise it will become very dry.  Ahi is part of the yellowfin group. Bluefin tuna  are superior to yellowfin. It has a much higher fat content and are commonly used for sushi.  Expect to pay $12-$25/lb for bluefin.

smittydog27

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 07:30:17 AM »
Ahi tuna steak from Fresh Thyme.
coated in S&P, mixed with fresh minced garlic.  Then tossed on Italian breadcrumbs.
Seared for one minute per side, rolled the edges.

Sesame Ginger Sauce for dippin

griz400

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 02:07:40 PM »
Yours look great ... I am just not a fan of fresh tuna ... give me catfish, cod, steelhead trout, salmon, any other trout as well ... We tried it and ate the sides that we made and all the cats in the neighborhood said thanks .. lol  ...