Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Aluminum Diffuser  (Read 659 times)

bbleous

• Happy Cooker
Aluminum Diffuser
« on: June 02, 2019, 02:58:42 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to Weber Kettle cooking and was considering using a 19" aluminum (14 gauge) pan as a diffuser, while using a snake method with the charcoals for heat.  I'm thinking the diffuser would allow me to use more space on the cooking grates.  This would be my primary setup for anything I'm cooking between 225*-250*.  I've considered using a cast iron diffuser, but they are more expensive, and at these low temperature, I don't know that it would matter.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Leo

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Aluminum Diffuser
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 01:58:19 PM »
I’ve considered this too.  Then I got the 26 inch kettle and forgot about it. [emoji4]Where would you put the diffuser?  On the cooking grate?

Check this out. 

https://auraoutdoorproducts.com/collections/kettle-zone-pre-order-specials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbleous

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 05:43:54 PM »
I'm familiar with aura products.  I would support the diffuser by hanging it from the cooking grate or supporting from below via the charcoal grate.  My objective now is to get a diffuser plate mounted at a height that leaves about a 1" gap all around.  I'll monitor temps and vary the location of the diffuser plate until the temps look the way I want them to.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 04:45:01 PM »
No need for a diffuser while using the snake method for low and slow. IMHO thats the beauty of the snake method and the beauty of the weber is that they hold temps extremely well, at least mine does. No need fiddling around with a diffuser to control heat when it can be done by adjusting the vents. You're going to have to play with the vents anyway even with a diffuser.
I only used the snake method a couple times with briquettes and it worked great. I'm not sure why I don't use it more because it held 250ish for 11-12 hours with absolutly no adjusting of the air vents. The reason I used it was because I was cooking two whole pork loins and I needed the extra space on the grate for indirect cooking, The small footprint of the actual charcoal that is burning with the snake method provides that. I had two layers of briquettes two briquettes wide. I can't remember but I think I started with 4 or 6 fully lit briquettes at the beginning of the snake. It's easy to add more charcoal on the end of the snake to get more burn time out of it. Just clean away the ashes from the burnt charcoal and add to the end of the snake. You can also rotate the cooking grate throughout the cook to keep indirect cooking
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:46:57 PM by WMT »