Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: RIBS - How you do them?  (Read 3092 times)

jmike314

• WKC Brave
Re: RIBS - How you do them?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 04:49:40 PM »
How hard is that snake method to master?
On the kettle, I just banked a lit chimney full to one side and tossed a couple good chunks of wood on top and off we went.

Been liking the hot & fast for ribs lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
“Crying is for little girls, babies, and men who just had their ears ripped off.” - Oobedoob Benubi

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
RIBS - How you do them?
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 06:18:49 PM »
On the kettle, I just banked a lit chimney full to one side and tossed a couple good chunks of wood on top and off we went.

The snake is easy. If you have time to set it up properly it will run steady for a long time. I had one go all the way around once when doing a brisket and even had to “chase it” by adding more unlit coals. Anyway, back to ribs. 2x2 is pretty standard for a longer snake. But don’t be afraid to experiment. 2-2-1 (2 wide on the bottom, 2 wide in the middle, and a single layer on top). Some guys do 1/4 snake that’s 3x3 or 3-3-2.
You can do one rack flat on a 22” or two racks flat on a 26.” Rib racks work well for adding more racks in either case. It’s been a while since I’ve done ribs with a snake...but they were bangin.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 06:22:47 PM »

Hot and fast is my preferred method for ribs.

Snake is great for a lot of things. It will run unattended for hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2019, 01:09:14 AM »
Hot and Fast [emoji91] @barbecuepitboss style ribs for me!
2 to 2 1/4 hours and you will have fantastic ribs 🤤

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2019, 06:49:55 AM »
I’ve been doing my ribs hot and fast.  I trim to St. Louis Style and shorten the rack down to 10-11 bones.  I save the trimmings and use them in baked beans.    I cook anywhere between 300-350 until I like the appearance, meaning the rub has set and the tops are starting to get a sizzle to them.  Usually when the “sizzle” is good the fat from the ribs starts to have a yellowish appearance to them.  I’ve been using Heath Riles Butter Bath and then whatever rubs the ribs started off with in my wrap.  Some butter, brown sugar and maple strips works as well.  The wrapped portion goes until the ribs in the wrap bend easily, then I check them for tenderness with my probe.

I’ve really liked switching from 225-275 to 300+ just because of the time it saves.  Traditionalists will day you can’t cook good bbq st those temps but I’ll put any of my bbq up against slow n low any day.  I can’t tell a difference.  I’m doing 4 racks today and I’m happy I don’t have to get them on until 2-3pm to have them ready for dinner. (I'm also happy to not have them dipped in sauce tonight....comp ribs are a bit over the top!)

These were done in competition last month.  My first KCBS call.  7th place ribs out of 74 teams.  These took 2.5 hours total at 350. 

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 06:51:58 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2019, 08:01:26 AM »

I’ve been doing my ribs hot and fast.  I trim to St. Louis Style and shorten the rack down to 10-11 bones.  I save the trimmings and use them in baked beans.    I cook anywhere between 300-350 until I like the appearance, meaning the rub has set and the tops are starting to get a sizzle to them.  Usually when the “sizzle” is good the fat from the ribs starts to have a yellowish appearance to them.  I’ve been using Heath Riles Butter Bath and then whatever rubs the ribs started off with in my wrap.  Some butter, brown sugar and maple strips works as well.  The wrapped portion goes until the ribs in the wrap bend easily, then I check them for tenderness with my probe.

I’ve really liked switching from 225-275 to 300+ just because of the time it saves.  Traditionalists will day you can’t cook good bbq st those temps but I’ll put any of my bbq up against slow n low any day.  I can’t tell a difference.  I’m doing 4 racks today and I’m happy I don’t have to get them on until 2-3pm to have them ready for dinner. (I'm also happy to not have them dipped in sauce tonight....comp ribs are a bit over the top!)

These were done in competition last month.  My first KCBS call.  7th place ribs out of 74 teams.  These took 2.5 hours total at 350. 

Do you put meat side down in the wrap?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2019, 08:07:36 AM »
@HoosierKettle - I do now. I just changed from meat up to meat down before my last comp and I like the results.  I'm basically following the video Heath Riles did with Malcom Reed on the How To BBQ Right Youtube channel.  I'm using different rubs and cooking hotter, but the rest is the same.  I'd suggest cooking up two racks with the same everything, but do one meat up and one bone up and see which one you like the best.  I've gotten pretty good at having a sixth sense about when ribs are done, but being able to see the bottom of the rack and if they are starting to split has definitely helped me in getting a quick visual on my ribs then getting them wrapped back up and onto the grill in a very quick manner.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

jmike314

• WKC Brave
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2019, 03:58:54 PM »
Liking what I’m seeing, reading.
Keep it coming. Lots of great info.

“Crying is for little girls, babies, and men who just had their ears ripped off.” - Oobedoob Benubi

jmike314

• WKC Brave
RIBS - How you do them?
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2019, 05:32:28 PM »
Went to the range this morning and stayed too long. Got a late start on my dinner.

Started out with a full rack of spares. The StL spares I usually buy still have the skirt. This full rack did not.

Pulled the membrane.
Trimmed off some fat.
Made an attempt at a StL trim. It for sure ain’t the best but it’s my first time.

Generously rubbed with a bit of an experiment and put into the refrigerator to sit a spell.

Pulled off the trimmings to “check” my work.
Man.....I could make a meal out of just this.

Rack still going. Got a little bit longer.

And it’s done.
Clearly I missed the StL cut.
Oh well. They’re delicious.
A couple of tweaks to the rub and I’ll be dialed in.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 06:33:01 PM by jmike314 »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2019, 05:26:18 AM »

Went to the range this morning and stayed too long. Got a late start on my dinner.

Started out with a full rack of spares. The StL spares I usually buy still have the skirt. This full rack did not.

Pulled the membrane.
Trimmed off some fat.
Made an attempt at a StL trim. It for sure ain’t the best but it’s my first time.

Generously rubbed with a bit of an experiment and put into the refrigerator to sit a spell.

And it’s done.

It all looks awesome!  How did you cook it?  Set up and time?

jmike314

• WKC Brave
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2019, 01:19:44 PM »

Pulled the membrane.
Trimmed off some fat.

And it’s done.

It all looks awesome!  How did you cook it?  Set up and time?

Realizing now I never took a cook pic.

Had leftover coals from last cook - banked them with 1 basket to one side. Wedged in a good sized chunk each of Post Oak and Cherry. Dumped a full lit chimney of Embers on top. Then I choked off the air and settled in around 325-350.

No wrap. Spritzed it with water/apple cider vinegar/red wine vinegar at 1 hour then every 30min.

Went fast. Took about 3 hours. Trimmings done in half that.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2019, 03:38:44 PM »
This time, I change it up all the time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
RIBS - How you do them?
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2019, 03:42:28 PM »
Looks delicious @JEBIV. Love the skillet beans.

I’m always changing it up too. It’s fun.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2019, 06:17:18 PM »
@jebiv what diffuser do you have under your grate?

jmike314

• WKC Brave
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2019, 07:02:30 PM »
@jebiv

How long?
What temp?