Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Friday fish fry  (Read 1083 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Friday fish fry
« on: March 29, 2019, 06:31:46 PM »
I breaded flounder and cod using a Rachael Ray recipe. Very easy and delicious. I called an audible and seasoned the fish with Tony’s instead of salt pepper.  We preferred the thin flounder but both were great.  The 26 had table duty holding the fish waiting to be fried.

Besides a kettle, I’m not sure there is anymore versatile tool than a 12” cast iron pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Friday fish fry
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 07:55:30 PM »
Excellent Lenten Friday meal. 

.....”you’re Delta Tau Chi name is Flounder”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 10:18:37 PM »
So, how hot was the oil and how long did it take, Sean?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 04:53:53 AM »

So, how hot was the oil and how long did it take, Sean?

I had the oil around 350. The thin filets got golden brown in less than a minute and were probably done but I cooked them at least a few minutes.

A couple of the cod filets were an inch thick and took longer. They got just a little too dark before they cooked through. They probably took 8 minutes or so but I was fighting to keep my oil temp down. The temp was closer to 375 when I was doing those.

All in all it’s pretty easy. You just need to keep oil temp in check when frying thicker pieces.

It’s the firs time I have used that Coleman stove in a long time. A 1/8 turn of the knob goes from off to full blast lol.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 10:11:24 AM »

Excellent Lenten Friday meal. 

.....”you’re Delta Tau Chi name is Flounder”

Yes it was a fun meal for a Lenten Friday.

Frying outside is the only way to go. No smell or mess inside. I’ve fried using charcoal for a heat source many times but I think I prefer the convenience of a little propane stove. It’s easy to wipe down when finished too. I need to create a permanent spot or at least a permanent storage spot for the stove in the bbq area. 

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 04:26:51 PM »

[/quote]

Frying outside is the only way to go. No smell or mess inside. I’ve fried using charcoal for a heat source many times but I think I prefer the convenience of a little propane stove. It’s easy to wipe down when finished too. I need to create a permanent spot or at least a permanent storage spot for the stove in the bbq area. 

[/quote]

Frying outside is the only way to go...
Butt...
Somehow I can't get myself to use any other heat source than charcoal...Even with my discada...It's gotta be charcoal fired...But that's just me...

Fish lookin good man...lookin good...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 05:23:21 AM »

[/quote]

Frying outside is the only way to go...
Butt...
Somehow I can't get myself to use any other heat source than charcoal...Even with my discada...It's gotta be charcoal fired...But that's just me...

Fish lookin good man...lookin good...
[/quote]

Thanks.

I know what you mean about charcoal. I usually prefer to cook over it than anything else. You can make whatever size burner you need.

If I get the 17” lodge skillet and use it on a 22 or 26 it would greatly expand what I could do. [emoji848]

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 03:53:24 PM »
Looks d@mn tasty HK. 

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 04:29:32 AM »
Looks perfect. I’ve been thinking about KFF — Kettle Fried Fish. Think it would work as well as kettle fried chicken?

Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 05:02:15 AM »

Looks perfect. I’ve been thinking about KFF — Kettle Fried Fish. Think it would work as well as kettle fried chicken?

I thought about that too. It would probably work. White fish doesn’t have the fat that chicken parts do so the only issue might be that it dries out. I’d try a couple pieces along with some chicken so you have a contingency meal just in case.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 07:12:49 AM »
That fish looks outstanding, cooked inside or out!

My preferred frying method is my turkey fryer burner and my old 14" cast iron skillet nestled upon it... outside of course... Great heat and control. I love me some cast iron!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 04:38:51 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 01:55:18 PM »
Looks awesome! How’d you like the Tony’s seasoning on the fish? Old Bay is my go-to.

A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.