Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Propane Tank  (Read 909 times)

mobiledynamics

• Smokey Joe
Propane Tank
« on: March 04, 2019, 11:37:19 AM »
OT Noob Question. I have ZERO experience with propane.
BJ's has what looks like ~new~ empty tanks for $20.
Should I head this route and get it filled myself ?

My understanding of tanks at Home Depot, etc - is they are are all recycled cans that are checked and then painted back ?

I'll be connecting it to a Otto Wilde

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Propane Tank
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 01:50:52 PM »
I would go the Home depot exchange route, they may be recycled and painted but after your second fill, your new one would be "recycled" and slowly losing luster. find a free one on craigslist, and use it as your "exchange" tank....
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 06:47:41 AM »
I would go the Home depot exchange route, they may be recycled and painted but after your second fill, your new one would be "recycled" and slowly losing luster. find a free one on craigslist, and use it as your "exchange" tank....

Gotta be careful with that. Outdated tanks will not be refilled. Don't ask me how I know... Go buy a new one, filled, and use that. Best advice, a few bux more, butt well worth it in the end.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 01:11:42 PM »

Gotta be careful with that. Outdated tanks will not be refilled. Don't ask me how I know... Go buy a new one, filled, and use that. Best advice, a few bux more, butt well worth it in the end.

Here where I live it don't matter what tank you take in, its an exchange, not a refill...  most dont check, or care.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 01:35:25 PM »

Agree.  They exchange them at supermarkets and convenience stores here.  I guarantee no one checks the ones that are being turned in ! ! !

If you were going to keep getting your own tank refilled, then I would be more concerned that it was a quality unit.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 01:43:16 PM »
Here's something to consider in making your decision:

- Home Depot or places that exchange empty for filled tanks charge $23 for the exchange.

- These 20 lb tanks that are sold at exchange locations are filled with 4 gallons of propane (apparently for safety reasons) A lot of times your getting less than 4 gallons of propane.

- If you take your own tank to a refill station, it will be filled to anywhere between 4.5 to 4.7 gallons of propane.

- I pay $2.99 per gallon of propane when filling my own tank at a refill location ( $13.50 per refill)

- You will be paying an extra $9.50 each time you exchange your tank, plus you will only be getting a maximum of 4 gallons of propane if your lucky.

- Most folks don't wait till their propane tank is empty to exchange it so you will also be giving away propane each time you exchange your tank.

-If you do a lot of grilling, it's a good idea to have 2 propane tanks.  A full one as a back up as they will always tend to run out at the most inconvenient time.

- Propane tanks have an expiration date of 12 years after the manufacture date stamped on the collar.  After those 12 years, it can be exchanged or inspected for re-qualification for another 5 years.

Whenever my propane tanks get close to the 12 year mark, I go to Home Depot and exchange it.  I go through the tanks until I find one that has a brand new manufacture date.  The employees who unlock the cage usually don't care as long as you explain to them the reason why your looking at several tanks.   
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 01:48:45 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 03:37:42 AM »
Here's something to consider in making your decision:

- Home Depot or places that exchange empty for filled tanks charge $23 for the exchange.

- These 20 lb tanks that are sold at exchange locations are filled with 4 gallons of propane (apparently for safety reasons) A lot of times your getting less than 4 gallons of propane.

- If you take your own tank to a refill station, it will be filled to anywhere between 4.5 to 4.7 gallons of propane.

- I pay $2.99 per gallon of propane when filling my own tank at a refill location ( $13.50 per refill)

- You will be paying an extra $9.50 each time you exchange your tank, plus you will only be getting a maximum of 4 gallons of propane if your lucky.

- Most folks don't wait till their propane tank is empty to exchange it so you will also be giving away propane each time you exchange your tank.

-If you do a lot of grilling, it's a good idea to have 2 propane tanks.  A full one as a back up as they will always tend to run out at the most inconvenient time.

- Propane tanks have an expiration date of 12 years after the manufacture date stamped on the collar.  After those 12 years, it can be exchanged or inspected for re-qualification for another 5 years.

Whenever my propane tanks get close to the 12 year mark, I go to Home Depot and exchange it.  I go through the tanks until I find one that has a brand new manufacture date.  The employees who unlock the cage usually don't care as long as you explain to them the reason why your looking at several tanks.
Jim, is sort of like the E.F.Hutton around here LOL when he speaks we should listen
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 07:59:11 AM »

@JEBIV - Probably more like Cliff Clavin from the TV show Cheers.

"You know Normy, it's a little known fact that..............................................."

*Disclaimer - I don't live with my Mother though
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:04:05 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 08:00:37 AM »

@JEBIV - Probably more like Cliff Clavin from the TV show Cheers.

"You know Normy, it's a little known fact that..............................................."

*Disclaimer - I don't live with my Mother though

LOL either way it still ages us both
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill