Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best way to speed up a pork shoulder?  (Read 1245 times)

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
Best way to speed up a pork shoulder?
« on: January 02, 2019, 08:22:53 PM »
I usually shoot for 225-250* using a 2x2 snake in my 26er, but that takes around 1-1.5 hours per pound. I’m going to be rushed for time on Saturday & need to get a 7lb. butt done in about 6 hours. Any suggestions? Wrap it after a couple hours? Up the temp to 300*?

(I’m flying back into town that morning, so I can’t just do it the day before. I’ve got a buddy salting & wrapping it for me the night before.)

-Jed
-Jed

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Best way to speed up a pork shoulder?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 04:22:25 AM »
Get yer buddy to put it on while yer gone? I hate rushing anything BBQ, especially butts and ribs. Or change yer menu to better align with yer schedule... Just a thought.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 04:27:24 AM »
Braising in a Dutch oven will speed up the process a lot, but you won’t have any bark.  Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 05:01:20 AM »
You could (maybe) split the butt into two 3.5lb pieces - that might speed things up, (I have not done that myself) but agree there is nothing better than time to get a good result. 6 hours is really pushing it. 10 may even be pushing it if you get into a stubborn stall. I have finished a butt wrapped in the oven (or on the gasser in my case) at 350 that was not quite up to temp when I had to pull it, but the bark is lost for the most part. let us know how it turns out if you come up with a winning solution!

Marty
Retired

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 05:21:09 AM »
Pork butt responds very well to a "hot-n-fast" technique.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=32419.0

This was on a WSM, but I have used this trick on my 26 also.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 06:09:07 AM »
Thanks @jcnaz that is something I need to try next time. Like maybe this weekend!
Retired

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
Best way to speed up a pork shoulder?
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 07:33:37 AM »
Thanks everyone! @jcnaz, that is exactly what I was hoping for!

I’m thinking I’ll smoke it for about two hours at 350*, then wrap & pop in the oven at 350* ‘til the IT hits 200* or so. I’ll probe test & look for meat pulling away from the bone at that point. If by some miracle I happen to have more time on the clock, I’ll return it, unwrapped, to the smoker to try and get some semblance of bark.

If I have to sacrifice something in this rush, bark would be the thing with which I’m least reluctant to part.

I’ll let everyone know the final results.

-Jed
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:31:34 AM by Jed.cook »
-Jed

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 01:34:17 PM »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 03:05:23 PM »

Hot n fast works.... Even with an Outrider...

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/the-18'-outrider-is-a-great-cooker/

Awesome! I was thinking of using my 14” Outrider Mini WSM, but I haven’t used the 18” Outrider in forever. Might be time to break her out!

-Jed
-Jed

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 06:23:19 PM »
You could (maybe) split the butt into two 3.5lb pieces - that might speed things up, (I have not done that myself) but agree there is nothing better than time to get a good result. 6 hours is really pushing it. 10 may even be pushing it if you get into a stubborn stall. I have finished a butt wrapped in the oven (or on the gasser in my case) at 350 that was not quite up to temp when I had to pull it, but the bark is lost for the most part. let us know how it turns out if you come up with a winning solution!

Marty
+1 2 grills running simultaneously. In theory should only take you about 5 hours to finish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 03:55:30 PM »
Get yer buddy to put it on while yer gone? I hate rushing anything BBQ, especially butts and ribs. Or change yer menu to better align with yer schedule... Just a thought.

I don't like to hurry BBQ...Period...

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 10:22:42 PM »
Success! I wouldn’t say it was the best pulled pork I’ve ever done, but it was damn good. Flavor was spot on, and although it didn’t exactly fall apart when I went to pull it, the bone slid right out & there was still a decent bark around both pieces. Cook time was right around 4 hrs. Then a cooler rest for about 1.5 hrs. before pulling. I’d definitely use this hot & fast method again if I’m pressed for time.

-Jed
-Jed

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 04:54:34 AM »
Success! I wouldn’t say it was the best pulled pork I’ve ever done, but it was damn good. Flavor was spot on, and although it didn’t exactly fall apart when I went to pull it, the bone slid right out & there was still a decent bark around both pieces. Cook time was right around 4 hrs. Then a cooler rest for about 1.5 hrs. before pulling. I’d definitely use this hot & fast method again if I’m pressed for time.

There you have it. Low and slow is your friend when it comes to BBQ. I'm glad you were satisfied with the results. Next time, don't be pressed for time when doing this. Trust me. It will change your world.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.