Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mac n cheese obsession and recipe  (Read 1449 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Mac n cheese obsession and recipe
« on: September 21, 2018, 05:28:51 AM »
I’ve been making Mac n cheese for the last three nights in a row and plan on making a couple more batches this weekend. I’ve been chasing a combination of recipes that will produce an epic final product. It seems fairly straight forward but it’s not. Making decent Mac is easy. Making the perfect Mac is like chasing a unicorn for me.

There are so many variables. Different cheeses, different dairy types, different seasonings, different toppings. Then the ratios of noodle to cheese to dairy to fats to seasonings.

I feel like this recipe is getting very close for my personal taste. Next time I might add a little more cheese.

Recipe:

2 cup uncooked noodles
1.5 cup fresh graded sharp cheddar
1.5 cup Monterey Jack fresh
1 cup mozzarella fresh
1/2 t pepper
2 t salt
1 Serrano pepper sliced
2 eggs
1/2 stick butter
1 12oz can evaporated milk
Crushed ritz

Boil noodles al dente with 1 t salt, strain and immediately put back in non stick pot. Mix in butter until melted, mix in salt and pepper, mix in graded cheeses, mix in evaporated milk, mix in 2 eggs and Serrano pepper. This whole time I’m turning the burner off and on so the mixture stays just hot enough to melt ingredients. DO NOT simmer. Pour in greased cast iron pan and top with shredded cheddar and crackers. Bake or grill indirect at 350 for 40 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 05:30:46 AM »
Also taste your mixture before it goes in pan. If it doesn’t taste awesome before you bake it, it won’t taste awesome when it’s done.

This batch had my favorite flavor so far but I would prefer a little bit creamier. Hence the obsession with striving for the unattainable it seems.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Mac n cheese obsession and recipe
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 06:05:38 AM »
Also taste your mixture before it goes in pan. If it doesn’t taste awesome before you bake it, it won’t taste awesome when it’s done.

This batch had my favorite flavor so far but I would prefer a little bit creamier. Hence the obsession with striving for the unattainable it seems.

Have you pondered crumbled bacon with the ritz crackers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 06:13:02 AM »

I need to try that. The crackers are great but I’m going to eliminate those in the future. I would rather have slightly browned cheese on top I think. Next batch I’ll top with cheese and bacon only.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 05:05:09 AM »
This looks great! One day I've got to get around to trying smoked mac 'n cheese on the Kettle. Always interested to learn a new recipe. Thanks!
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 09:00:50 AM »
Instead of the evapo-milk try some heavy cream or half and half...But that's just me...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 10:07:50 AM »

Instead of the evapo-milk try some heavy cream or half and half...But that's just me...

Yes. I agree completely. I used the evap because that’s what I had. I usually use half and half.

CyberCat62

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 08:41:15 PM »
Great!!  Be careful chasing perfection.  I have a good number of recipes my family LOVES, but I feel I could do better.  The chase can be fun and frustrating!!

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 04:58:25 PM »

Perfection is the goal, Excellence will be tolerated.  My favorite coffee mug saying... Look like you nailed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

jdubb

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 09:04:32 AM »
Looks good, gonna have to try it. Thanks
ISO: Blue 22in MBH.  Green 22in MBH

jimz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 09:33:56 AM »
This is inspiring me to have a crack at this

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 01:11:50 PM »

I need to try that. The crackers are great but I’m going to eliminate those in the future. I would rather have slightly browned cheese on top I think. Next batch I’ll top with cheese and bacon only.

Maybe add the crackers later in the cook after the cheese has browned a bit?
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!