Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First grill was ehh  (Read 1321 times)

cossack joe

• Happy Cooker
First grill was ehh
« on: August 22, 2018, 07:49:21 AM »
I'm coming from the ease of a gas grill. Having my grill sit until it reached 500 or 550 throwing my chicken breasts on to hear the sizzle and have automatic grill marks, this was what I became accustomed to.
Today, I let my charcoal heat up until it ashed over in my chimney, then dumped the briquettes into my weber baskets. I let the grill sit for some time, but it seemed like it was struggling to reach 400. I've seen videos and pictures of other peoples charcoal roaring inside the baskets, but mine did not. It had the red hot coals under, but the top layer was more ashy. Bottom line, I didn't get sear marks, andthe struggle to reach 400 degrees bothered me.

I thought maybe I hadn't used enough charcoal. Using the indirect heat method, I wasn't seeing the temperature I was used to. With a gas grill ranging from 450 - 500 for boneless breasts I wouldn't think twice. Also my chicken had a "smokey" odor. I'm assuming this is the charcoal eminating an order onto the meat as if it were being smoked?
I know it will be an adjustment, but I was so excited for this new venture, and I'm not seeing the results Im used to.
 Any advice?

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
Re: First grill was ehh
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 08:30:43 AM »
I was in the same boat--used to firing up a Weber Spirit to the desired temperature and then struggling to dial in a correct temp when I bought a Kettle.

Were your top and bottom vents completely open? If they both were, it would maximize the oxygen getting to the coals creating more heat. I've found that meat cooked on charcoal will taste smokier as a rule. If the top vent was closed too far, it may have trapped too much smoke in the grill, causing the odor. Just speculating though.

In the end, practice makes perfect. You'll figure it out by experimenting. Have fun!
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 08:48:14 AM »
If not the vents, it could be process.   I don't wait for top charcoal to ash over.  I dump when smoke is gone and flames are shooting out of the top of the chimney.  Another possibility is it could be the charcoal......too much humidity & moisture absorbed into it, perhaps? 

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 08:55:10 AM »
If not the vents, it could be process.   I don't wait for top charcoal to ash over.  I dump when smoke is gone and flames are shooting out of the top of the chimney.  Another possibility is it could be the charcoal......too much humidity & moisture absorbed into it, perhaps? 

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

this....re chimney lighting.

re gas grill therms....so those are terribly inaccurate and could be off by 50-75 degrees..same with weber stock kettle therms.

that said...you didnt get sear marks so kettle wasnt hot...

id try the chimney dump much earlier....

you baskets should be completely full if you dump chinney at right time.

post chimney dump...let kettle preheat for 10-15 mins topside...you should be close in high 400s using kbb...hotter using kcomp or stubbs and /or lump

in summary..i think you let the chimney burn too long and preheated too long which burned out the briqs early....

Grills

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 09:02:38 AM »
Good advice so far but lose the baskets and dump a full chimney on the charcoal grate and grill like a man

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
First grill was ehh
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 09:04:18 AM »
And ignore the temp gauge. The lid being closed waiting for temp to come up was counter productive. You will know when it’s hot.

Step one for new people should be to remove the temp gauge and install a bolt.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:06:10 AM by HoosierKettle »

cossack joe

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »
Any link to whAt you mean by a bolt? I mean literally a bolt? As much as I appreciate the info. What’s wrong with using the baskets? Vents were wide open up top and bottom. I used regular charcoal but had kept the bag outside but protected by the bbq cover.
How do you store your charcoal to prevent humidity? 

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
First grill was ehh
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 10:31:33 AM »
I was teasing you a little about the thermo. Leave it in place.

Chicken breasts can be cooked indirect but personally I would grill them directly over charcoal not in baskets.

Otherwise your just baking them not grilling.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 10:39:37 AM »
Any link to whAt you mean by a bolt? I mean literally a bolt? As much as I appreciate the info. What’s wrong with using the baskets? Vents were wide open up top and bottom. I used regular charcoal but had kept the bag outside but protected by the bbq cover.
How do you store your charcoal to prevent humidity?

grill covers are no waterproof...if you dont have a performer cart...store charcoal inside...

kbb briqs burn fast and have a high ash waste....

ignore any stock therm...they are inaccurate by a wide margin.

charcoal grills lit properly have a higher heat capaciry than gas grills which top out at a certain temp ( google this)

40 diff ways to use a kettle....i use baskets since day 1...i indirect cook most meats other than beef ....so the baskets help with indirect zones..and moving them around for the final sear step works for me.

i tink your issue was a combination of chimney and preheating too long and damp charcoal..it may have redried..but charcoal once damp i dont think performs as well.

good news is that sat is only a few days away...to try it again

im sure if you take some advice here...buy fresh bag of kcomp or stubbs ..you will reach the temps u r seeking...
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 10:45:41 AM »
btw...if you are doing a long cook....check your baskets about 45 mins in....if you see your therm needle droppong...just add morw chacoal in the baskets...

i use the therm moreso for this type of "sh@@t i should add more charcoal now" especially during a roti cook..which tends to need more refueling....

if you want accurate temp reading..buy a maverick....

but i dont think you need one for a kettle.

i have a mverick and only used on my wsm...but use much less often on my wsm..bc you will be able to gauge your temp after a while

meanjng that you will have confidence in your timing of the process and vent usage where you rely less on a therm.....

id save the money and buy a thermapen which is where the value comes through indefinitely by accurately pulling your meat off at the correct IT aka internal meat temp
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:47:32 AM by toolhead »
Grills

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 11:09:48 AM »

btw...if you are doing a long cook....check your baskets about 45 mins in....if you see your therm needle droppong...just add morw chacoal in the baskets...

i use the therm moreso for this type of "sh@@t i should add more charcoal now" especially during a roti cook..which tends to need more refueling....

if you want accurate temp reading..buy a maverick....

but i dont think you need one for a kettle.

i have a mverick and only used on my wsm...but use much less often on my wsm..bc you will be able to gauge your temp after a while

meanjng that you will have confidence in your timing of the process and vent usage where you rely less on a therm.....

id save the money and buy a thermapen which is where the value comes through indefinitely by accurately pulling your meat off at the correct IT aka internal meat temp

I agree. Definitely get an instant read digital thermometer. Single best thing you can buy for cooking imo. Whether outside or inside or gas or charcoal.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
First grill was ehh
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 03:09:03 PM »
I’ll illustrate. First pic is what my coals look like when they are ready. You can’t see but small flames are shooting out of the top. I dump the coals and use tongs to position fully lit coals among less lit coals. I install grate and and heat it up for a minute and give a scrape. Install pork chops. These were nothing special. Thin and assorted. Then I turn and rotate every couple of minutes. The heat was enough to burn your eyebrows off and the lid was off more than it was on. Install lid to control flare ups occasionally. Total cook time was probably 10 minutes. I leave myself an escape route or a small area with no coals to pile meat as it finishes. Remove meat install lid and close vents. Thick chicken breasts would require a little more care and bottom vent closed more but can basically be done similarly.

I assure you these had great grill flavor with the juices dripping into the coals and plenty of flame licking the meat. A whole different flavor profile compared to indirect which is also good but very different.  Even if they are seared at the beginning or end.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:22:20 PM by HoosierKettle »

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 04:32:00 PM »
Pro tip. Move your lid to the side an inch or two to achieve more air flow which results in higher heat.

Sent from my VS987 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:33:53 PM by AZ Monsoon »

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 05:46:42 PM »
Im in the "no basket" group...
Dump your chimney all one one side of the grate...You will get to 500 easily without the lid...
Sear the chicken over the coals and move to the cooler side to finish with the lid on...

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
First grill was ehh
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 12:24:49 PM »
I have let my charcoal go to long in the chimney before , getting things prepped ext. and go oh shit I need to dump the coals . And that exact thing has happened to me. . They were to far gone . I always dump mine when the flames come shooting out the top. It’s nice and hot then . If it happens again , throw a couple hand fulls in on top .   Like toolhead said , give it another shot . Next time might be the best chicken you have cooked yet. We have all been there before !   

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club