Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grad party  (Read 726 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Grad party
« on: May 28, 2018, 04:39:25 PM »
Today was my daughters high school graduation party. It was shared with 6 other kids in a school gymnasium.

The pork was catered by a local guy. 75 lbs. it was delicious. I thought about doing the pork but decided I would rather have someone else do it for an event this size.

Thinking I was off the hook cooking, it was brought to my attention that the party responsible for Mac and cheese couldn’t do it. Also there was no bbq sauce but store bought.

I frantically went shopping for supplies this morning. I had no idea how to gauge how much to make. I ended up making the Mac and cheese using cheddar, Colby, Monterey Jack, and Gouda. 10 lbs of cheese total. I also used 4 boxes of elbow macaroni. I made a basic sauce with heavy cream and butter followed by sour cream, a little mustard, hot sauce, spices. I also fried a package of bacon and blended up and mixed with bread crumbs for a topping.

I didn’t follow a recipe and didn’t measure a thing. Just started dumping ingredients. I baked it on site in a convection oven. All of it was gone in the first two hours with overwhelming compliments from people I didn’t know.

The sauce lasted the entire 4 hours but barely. It seemed to be a big hit as well and finally gave me an excuse to buy those restaurant squeeze bottles. I’ve got 6 now.

I thought I was getting out of cooking for this event but I was wrong. It was a great time.

Hopefully everyone enjoyed the weekend.

Sorry no pics. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Grad party
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 04:53:48 PM »
Today was my daughters high school graduation party. It was shared with 6 other kids in a school gymnasium.

The pork was catered by a local guy. 75 lbs. it was delicious. I thought about doing the pork but decided I would rather have someone else do it for an event this size.

Thinking I was off the hook cooking, it was brought to my attention that the party responsible for Mac and cheese couldn’t do it. Also there was no bbq sauce but store bought.

I frantically went shopping for supplies this morning. I had no idea how to gauge how much to make. I ended up making the Mac and cheese using cheddar, Colby, Monterey Jack, and Gouda. 10 lbs of cheese total. I also used 4 boxes of elbow macaroni. I made a basic sauce with heavy cream and butter followed by sour cream, a little mustard, hot sauce, spices. I also fried a package of bacon and blended up and mixed with bread crumbs for a topping.

I didn’t follow a recipe and didn’t measure a thing. Just started dumping ingredients. I baked it on site in a convection oven. All of it was gone in the first two hours with overwhelming compliments from people I didn’t know.

The sauce lasted the entire 4 hours but barely. It seemed to be a big hit as well and finally gave me an excuse to buy those restaurant squeeze bottles. I’ve got 6 now.

I thought I was getting out of cooking for this event but I was wrong. It was a great time.

Hopefully everyone enjoyed the weekend.

Sorry no pics. 

“Freestyle” mac n cheese.  Awesome !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 03:06:01 AM »
Glad it all worked out!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 03:21:42 AM »
Sounds like an adventure! Well done!
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 04:15:15 AM »
sometimes recipe's are merely a suggestion, well done!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill