Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to bake potatoe fast  (Read 1991 times)

Transit98

• WKC Brave
Re: How to bake potatoe fast
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 06:42:03 PM »

Time out. This prompted a late snack in progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Im sure the house smell great. I love crisping tater slices in a small cast iron!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 03:16:00 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA Looks good! Save some for breakfast!!

I wasn’t supposed to get a follow up question. Now you’re asking me to speculate. Which is, that because potatoes are dense, they can take being closer to coals. On the other hand, maybe it’s hotter up on the cook grate. OR that the foil evens out the cooking in addition to amplifying it some. Corn on the cob probably works this way. Ribs, eh, don’t know about that.
For what it is worth, the one time I did baked taters in the basement, they cooked for well over an hour and were nowhere near being done. We ended up slicing them and moving them upstairs so that we could eat at a reasonable time.
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 06:18:06 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA Looks good! Save some for breakfast!!

I wasn’t supposed to get a follow up question. Now you’re asking me to speculate. Which is, that because potatoes are dense, they can take being closer to coals. On the other hand, maybe it’s hotter up on the cook grate. OR that the foil evens out the cooking in addition to amplifying it some. Corn on the cob probably works this way. Ribs, eh, don’t know about that.
For what it is worth, the one time I did baked taters in the basement, they cooked for well over an hour and were nowhere near being done. We ended up slicing them and moving them upstairs so that we could eat at a reasonable time.

OK that makes sense. So, cooler downstairs. The few times I've done it, I probably put them on EARLY while I futzed with everything else. Definitely you would not put anything down there that would need turning or tending to.

Wonder what would happen if they were foiled AND poked with a nail downstairs?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 06:58:37 AM »
I use my Vortex a lot. When I'm gonna do taters, I wrap them in foil with some butter, SnP, then place them around the base of the Vortex ahead of time before cooking the meat. They usually take an hour or so... Gooood chit!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 07:18:43 AM »
I think the basement is an awesome place for additional cook area, next time you do a cook upstairs throw a temp probe in the basement and monitor then you know what you have temp and time wise just my 2 cents and I had to borrow one of those
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 05:31:36 PM »
I do 1/4 inch slices only about 3/4 way through. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, butter. Foiled only takes maybe 15-20 mins to get soft

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 06:11:37 PM »
I do 1/4 inch slices only about 3/4 way through. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, butter. Foiled only takes maybe 15-20 mins to get soft

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
That sounds good too! I do like how I did it without the foil to get that crispy skin but I'll have to try it in foil too maybe with some peppers and onions!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 08:05:57 AM »

Why not try sous-vide ??  Maybe 5-6 hours, then 15 minutes on a 400 degree grill …
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.