Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sunday afternoon ribs  (Read 2599 times)

IrondeQuer

• Smokey Joe
Sunday afternoon ribs
« on: May 19, 2013, 02:34:46 PM »
Had a birthday party to go to yesterday so I broke out Performer today for some ribs.

The basic setup. Added about 20 lit briqs to this. The wood is apple.

The ribs. They're spares and I trimmed the flap and end meat. Rubbed with mustard and Dr. BBQ's Big-Time BBQ rub.

Cooked for about 3 hours, foiled with apple juice for another 45 minutes, then sauced and went another 20 minutes. Here they are after saucing:

Cut and ready to serve:

Lessons learned:

1) Cooking time was pretty good. The meat was tender and tore easily from the bones, although some were fall-off tender.

2) Didn't start with enough unlit briqs and had to add more around the foiling. I will start with a fuller load next time.

3) Temps ran around 275-290 rather consistently. The ribs were bending pretty good after three hours and I'm not sure the foil was strictly necessary. Maybe I'll skip the foil next time. All I really wanted to do was add some sweetness to counteract #4 below. That's actually why I sauced them too. I don't usually.

4) I'm not quite sure what this means, but wow, the ribs were really salty. I'm not sure if it's the rub or the mustard or maybe the combo of both. Maybe I need to try another rub. Any suggestions?

Thanks for looking!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Re: Sunday afternoon ribs
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 04:11:41 PM »
Most store bought rubs contain a lot of salt. If you are hyper sensitive, make your own. Or use less rub? Just remember that you need salt in your rub. Check out this site:  http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

He has more tips and recipes thanI have time!
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 04:30:10 PM »

Where does it say that?

He's a Meathead !!!

why can't I just dip my ribs in honey & cook 'em?

why MUST there be salt.....?

Salt: A World History, by Mark Kurlansky

hey it's on Amazon, it must be good !!!

http://www.amazon.com/Salt-World-History-Mark-Kurlansky/dp/0142001619
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
Sunday afternoon ribs
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 05:55:47 PM »
The saltiness could have been from the ribs being "enhanced" , I'm down to Sams Club and one other grocery store in my area that still sells regular ribs. The "enhancement" process packs them with sal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 06:07:44 PM »

Just about to say the same as Eastex....check your packaging when you buy & sometimes it's real small print..........some "brand names" are always water / salt & 'stuff' enhanced...............sort of par-cured, in a way......

The claim is that it will keep the meat moist during cooking, really just makes it salty when the waterey part cooks off & I think it makes them taste "hammy"

If you start there & add a rub w/ a fair amount of salt, it'll go over the top & be too much.....

some cuts you can soak in low running cold, cold water & get some of it out....ribs, eh.....pretty thin piece of meat for that proceedure......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

IrondeQuer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 06:25:31 PM »
Nope, not enhanced. I talked to the guys in the meat department and they said the only ribs they enhance are the ones that they pre-marinate for grilling. My label had nothing, indicating nothing was added.

If it's not an enhancement, it seems you guys are thinking it must be the rub. The base rub does call for a half-cup of salt. Maybe I'll make another batch and leave out the salt entirely, then mix them. And maybe use a little less next time.

Or maybe I need a better homemade rub?

BBQ Breath

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 07:01:31 PM »
I did ribs today as well. St Louis cut. Dry rubbed, mopped and glazed at the end. Smoked for 4 hours (250-275), wrapped in foil with apple juice for 1 hour and 20 minute glaze with some hickory chunks to add smoke to the glaze. These were great! I set the kettle up with a single charcoal basket and a tin foil divider to keep the heat off the meat...

I like the fire brick idea.

-Matt

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 07:39:44 PM »
The ribs look good!  I have stopped using foil awhile ago and have not looked back!   When making rub taste it for saltiness before cooking and taste after.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 08:40:42 PM »
I like to use Dizzy Pig original salt free on fresh ribs.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 10:37:01 PM »
i have been using Fiesta Fajita seasoning with no salt or msg on mustard. i bet mustard has salt.  i feel like the ribs take a lot of smoke which seems salty sometimes
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

IrondeQuer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 03:21:32 AM »
Thanks, all!

That's a good point, javahog. I feel that way too but haven't found anything definitive.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 05:35:58 AM »
As others have said, probably too much salt. I can't see it being the mustard.
I like the Memphis Dust rub from the amazingribs.com site. Give it a try. Not too salty, IMHO.
It makes a lot. Good on butts, too.  :D

I'm with 1911Ron ... Stopped using foil ... haven't looked back. Just let 'em ride.  8)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.