Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Forget vortex wings  (Read 2656 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Forget vortex wings
« on: March 10, 2018, 06:38:53 PM »
These were my best to date. I’ve been wanting to try wings in the wsm for awhile. The water pan was removed. I tossed the wings in olive oil and seasoned with Tony’s. I fired up a chimney of coal and poured over half a chimney on unlit and added a piece of cherry. Total cook was 1.5 hours. Temp was around 275 the first half and 325 the second half. I was using the Cajun bandit door in the unlocked position at times as another damper.

These were by far the best wings I have ever made. The skin was crisp and bite through and the chicken so tender and moist that the bones pulled right out of the meat.  I flipped them three times and basted a couple times using franks and butter.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Forget vortex wings
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 07:16:14 PM »
Sounds delicious!! So they were all on the top rack?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 07:16:18 PM »
Those look delicious!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 03:33:49 AM »

Sounds delicious!! So they were all on the top rack?

Yes. Coincidentally, the top rack of a 18 wsm holds one whole package of fresh wings from sams club once you remove the tips.  I wasn’t sure they would fit. If they hadn’t, I would have used both racks and ran with the water pan dry. I have not tried wings using that method yet.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Forget vortex wings
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 03:45:58 AM »
Also, I was only kidding about the title of this thread. Vortex style wings are great and I will still use that method but when I have the time, I will use the wsm.  These took at least a half hour longer probably more but if you like the flavor and texture of chicken cooked directly over coals, then this method is great.

Also, I normally cut all the wings into two pieces. Maybe leaving them whole had something to do with why I liked the texture and tenderness. [emoji848]
Whatever the reason, I did prefer these wings over any I have made.

I will have to try whole wings around a vortex and maybe choke my bottom vent a little and see how they compare.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 03:57:00 AM by HoosierKettle »

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 05:52:04 AM »
Also, I was only kidding about the title of this thread. Vortex style wings are great and I will still use that method but when I have the time, I will use the wsm.  These took at least a half hour longer probably more but if you like the flavor and texture of chicken cooked directly over coals, then this method is great.

Also, I normally cut all the wings into two pieces. Maybe leaving them whole had something to do with why I liked the texture and tenderness. [emoji848]
Whatever the reason, I did prefer these wings over any I have made.

I will have to try whole wings around a vortex and maybe choke my bottom vent a little and see how they compare.

It's been a long time since I smoked chicken of any kind...That looks and sounds like a good deal there...My WSM is the little 14 incher...Snot gonna hold enough wings to make me happy...Probably wont fire up the stickburner for wings...Looks like the Vortex gets the business...

I always leave my wings intact (minus the tip)...Can fit about 16 around the "V" without crowding...Could probably get more on there if I cut em up but I'm waaaay too lazy to do that ;D

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 06:25:45 AM »
Those look great!

Dumb question: how do you know when the wings are done? Do you take the internal temp? I think I am finally going to give them a try.

My WSM is on loan, so I may have to cook them on my weber q.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 07:46:49 AM »

Those look great!

Dumb question: how do you know when the wings are done? Do you take the internal temp? I think I am finally going to give them a try.

You can use an instant read. I have cooked them often enough that I can tell by the way they look. Since this was a new method I did use my instant read to check a couple last night.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 07:51:52 AM »
Those look great!

If you leave the wings intact they are done when the joint pulls apart easily...If they don't then they aint done enough for me...

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 08:11:08 AM »
Grate idea using the WSM. Butt, I am a Vortex/Kettle guy when it comes to wings. I cut my wings into pieces, save the tips for stock. I poke them with a Thermapen to check. No failures so far...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 08:43:26 AM »
@SMOKE FREAK I liked these whole wings and they are MUCH easier to prepare.  I'll probably do these more often.

@hawgheaven the vortex wings are great.  I was just really surprised at how different these tasted with all things the same but the cooking method.  depending on if someone likes the grease dripping on coal flavor would depend on which one someone likes best.  I will be switching it up from time to time to keep it interesting.  Unfortunately, I was by myself last night so I have no idea which method the family will like better.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 10:35:22 AM »

Unfortunately, I was by myself last night so I have no idea which method the family will like better.

Unfortunately or fortunately so you'll just have to make them again [emoji16]

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Forget vortex wings
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 12:35:45 PM »

Unfortunately, I was by myself last night so I have no idea which method the family will like better.

Unfortunately or fortunately so you'll just have to make them again [emoji16]

True. [emoji3][emoji106]

I’m going two for two on firsts.

The wsm is a chicken cooking machine. This is destined for a chicken and rice soup for my mother in law. She hasn’t been feeling well.

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 01:16:55 PM »
Your post made we want to try chicken wings for the first time. WSM was out on loan, so I used my Weber Q. Also used Tonys as you did (first time using tonys as well)

The wings were cooked very well imo, but I used way too much seasoning. I treated the seasoning like it was a rub, which did not work out. I ended up having to toss them all. Lesson learned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 01:24:34 PM »

Your post made we want to try chicken wings for the first time. WSM was out on loan, so I used my Weber Q. Also used Tonys as you did (first time using tonys as well)

The wings were cooked very well imo, but I used way too much seasoning. I treated the seasoning like it was a rub, which did not work out. I ended up having to toss them all. Lesson learned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no. Sorry to hear that. Tony’s is very salty so it is easy to over season if your not careful. That’s a shame because it looks like you cooked them perfectly.