Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pastrami Recipe  (Read 2054 times)

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
Pastrami Recipe
« on: March 08, 2018, 05:36:20 PM »
Found the pre-brined brisket flats on mega sale today in preparation for St. Patty’s day. Just finished my Mini WSM SJ mod last night and have been thinking about what to throw on this weekend for the inaugural smoke. Gotta’ be fate.

Ran across this recipe tonight: http://virtualweberbullet.com/cornedbeef.html

Has anybody tried this? Can you recommend it or another one for pastrami?

-Jed
-Jed

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Pastrami Recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 05:41:50 PM »
All I do is soak in water for a couple hours, change water, soak for two more hours and season it with coarse black pepper and granulated garlic and smoke. Always turns out amazing. I’m sure more complex recipes are better but simple works for me. Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 05:47:24 PM by HoosierKettle »

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
Re: Pastrami Recipe
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 06:47:03 PM »
Awesome, thanks @HoosierKettle! Do you just smoke it like a normal brisket flat? (225 deg, bring it to 200, probe test, etc.)

-Jed
-Jed

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 06:56:35 PM »
Oh, and here’s my new MiniWSM build. Used my SJG in hopes that she can be a car camping smoker in addition to being used for small smokes around the house. Lid fits pretty nice after some crimping with a pair of vice grips & a couple large paint sticks.

-Jed
-Jed

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 07:20:55 PM »
That mini wsm build looks awesome. I need to do that. What plan did you use?  What pot?

I don’t remember what I did last time lol. I’ll have to look at my saved notes.

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
Pastrami Recipe
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 08:00:23 PM »
Just used the original plan: http://virtualweberbullet.com/miniwsm.html

The $22 32qt. Imusa steamer pot is from Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/IMUSA-USA-MEXICANA-34-Aluminum-Tamale-and-Steamer-Pot-32-Quart-Silver/13370045 I also built a 10” D x 4” H charcoal basket for it from a 24”x12” piece of expanded steel. https://www.lowes.com/pd/12-in-x-2-ft-Cold-Rolled-Weldable-Steel-Expanded-Sheet/3051815 I also threw in a 12” clay planter saucer from Walmart as a heat deflector, but I can’t seem to find the link. Spray paint was high heat Rust-Oleum from Lowe’s for $7. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Specialty-High-Heat-Black-General-Purpose-Spray-Paint-(Actual-Net-Contents:-12-oz)/3744905 (I tried to get away with the $4 can that said the color was “BBQ Black” but it turned out to be a horrible flat gray. Had to return it & splurge the extra $3.)

I might drill a hole and add a rubber grommet for temp probe wires.

-Jed
-Jed

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 09:23:36 PM »

All I do is soak in water for a couple hours, change water, soak for two more hours and season it with coarse black pepper and granulated garlic and smoke. Always turns out amazing. I’m sure more complex recipes are better but simple works for me. Good luck and have fun.

Do basically the same type of thing except add a little onion powder and especially Coriander which gives it that traditional pastrami taste imo.  Just don’t add salt it will be salty enough.

You usually find the packages come in the Flat Cut and some places will also have the Point cut too (Walmart has both by me). Try them both.  I prefer the more fatty point.

Enjoy.

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 06:00:32 AM »
Thanks @foshizzle. On briskets, I usually smoke a whole packer together & then separate the point to make burnt ends. This’ll be my first go at pastrami, so I’m glad I’m starting with the flat. I’m sure it won’t be too long before I’m back at the store looking for a point. (Metaphor for life?)

As much as I love regular smoked brisket, I really want to try and give this a different flavor. Heavy on the coriander, skip the salt, got it. Thanks guys!

-Jed
-Jed

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 06:40:19 AM »
I wouldn’t go “heavy” on the coriander its got a distinct flavor and no reason to go heavy. 
Those corned beef packages are good smoked probably no matter what you do.

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 08:39:49 AM »
Cool. Thanks.

-Jed
-Jed

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 11:18:24 AM »
Alright, here we go! Thanks @HoosierKettle & @foshizzle for seasoning suggestions. Here’s a few pics of the new MiniWSM’s maiden voyage with pastrami:

-Jed
-Jed

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 06:26:38 PM »
Too late now...
I soak overnight and coat thick and heavy with black pepper...Smoke till 190 or so...Chill overnight and slice cold...

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
Pastrami Recipe
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 09:00:34 PM »
Success! (Sort of.) Of the two pieces, the smaller one cooked a little faster. I pulled it at 195, thinking the temp would rise a little more as it rested. Probe test felt a little tough, but it was getting late and we were getting hungry. Temp never rose, just started to drop after a couple minutes. I decided to go ahead and slice it. That was a mistake. Flavor was good, but meat was chewy.

The bigger piece was better. Brought it up to 200, probe tested better, rested for 20 min. then sliced. Much better results.

Learned a few things about the miniWSM as well. Looking forward to trying again. Thanks for all your help guys!

-Jed
-Jed

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 05:53:59 AM »
Looks real good to me...

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 08:24:51 AM »
Me thinks you nailed it. Cool little WSM you built there!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.