Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Simple chicken breasts  (Read 1498 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Simple chicken breasts
« on: February 23, 2018, 10:25:54 AM »
This was from a simple weeknight cook. I ended dup cooking them over direct heat. I'm still learning so a lot of them ended up dry by the time the thickest past was a safe temp. I usually cook chicken indirect and usually they turn out okay. I used a full lit chimney of KBB and tried to turn them every few minutes. I know you can flatten them so they cook more evenly, I just haven't take the time to try that yet. I like the extra grilled flavour and speed with direct cooking but want to avoid dry chicken. Any suggestions would be much appreciated [emoji4]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:36:20 AM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Simple chicken breasts
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 10:47:00 AM »
That looks tasty and healthy. I seldom do boneless skinless anymore but if you have an instant read try to pull them at 160 in the fat part. Someone correct me if that’s bad advice?  I usually do bone in skin on chicken breasts indirect. They are more forgiving and very juicy. However not as healthy I’m sure.

I would eat every bit of that plate though. Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:49:34 AM by HoosierKettle »

jacobp

• Smokey Joe
Re: Simple chicken breasts
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:55:10 AM »
A full chimney might also be overkill for boneless skinless, I'd probably go about 2/3 if you want to cook completely direct. If it were me, I'd probably start them over direct heat to get the sear, color i want, and then move them off the direct fire to finish.

That plate looks great!

chapel321

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 12:26:25 PM »
I like to sous vide then sear! Absolutely amazing!

jsk0703

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 06:36:29 AM »
You can also use a wet marinade or even a brine to help pull in some moisture.  Tons of good recipes out there for that.   Adds some time to the prep but it helps a lot in my opinion.  Gives the added benefit of allowing you to add some subtle flavors as well if you wish.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 08:26:51 AM »
Chicken looks great!

I've actually never grilled chicken breasts before, as my wife and I find them to be dry. If I were to grill them though, I'd probably do the same thing as @jacobp -- a few minutes of direct heat on both sides to sear it and then indirect until they got to about 160. It's the same method I use with chicken thighs, which we cook a lot. I always season them with salt, pepper, and garlic powder or some other kind of seasoning first and then put some barbecue sauce on them not long before I take them off the grill.
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 09:36:46 AM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Lots of good knowledge here. Grateful the wealth that is shared.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 11:16:26 AM »
I agree with @jsk0703's the idea of marinade/brining, I'll be doing some Roadside Chicken for the folks this weekend. 

Another option would be injections.  My GF's son got me some of this for Christmas:

I haven't used it yet, but will some time soon.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 12:39:29 PM »
Those chicken breaths look great.

In my opinion the bone-in chicken breasts cook moister then cooking the boneless breasts.

Made some chicken tenders on the cast iron using Avocado Oil and pulled them at 160-165 and they came out very moist and better then the boneless chicken breasts when cooked direct and then finished indirect.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 02:54:06 PM »
One sure fire way is to fry them like @foshizzle did.  You can sear them before or after on the grill to get that charbroiled taste. Probably a better way but takes more care is to cook them hibachi style. That is, direct grilling but less coals and closer to the heat. That way they are seared but all the fat is not liquified, and they retain more moisture. Also you can salt them and add dry spices to them.
26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 11:44:57 PM »
M8 winner winner chicken dinner to me [emoji39] my tip would be pull them just before hitting internal temp and rest them , carry over cooking can be a bugger of a thing . Also ppl get really paranoid cooking chicken ( my self included ) if it looks done 9 out of 10 time it is but every one goes I just give it a little longer and that’s what’s stuffs it .

Big fan of ya cooks keep the coming

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club