Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help with handle bending  (Read 1066 times)

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Help with handle bending
« on: February 09, 2018, 10:37:06 AM »
Hey all. My first 18 arrived today from another member.  The lid handle and one bowl handle were bent up at some point.  This is my first time having to tweak handles and I'm not sure how to do it.  What is the slickest way?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Help with handle bending
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 10:41:49 AM »
Straightening a Strap Handle the safe and easy way http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=18101

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Help with handle bending
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 11:15:19 AM »
That seems like great advice, but my lid strap has a downward bend that is worse than the side bend.  That wasn't mentioned, and I doubt it will get back to level with a just a small side bend with the clamp.  Would some upward massaging with a block of wood be the way to go?  I don't want to harm the porcelain, obviously.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:28:36 PM by Grillagin »

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 05:07:54 PM »
Metal plate thicker than the strap across the top. Press use clamp or vise gripe from centre out. Use couple of popsicle sticks on the bot. to protect porcelain to metal vise gripe or clamp contact. Should do the trick.

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 08:27:36 PM »
Hi Grillagin, I thought about your problem a little bit and thought this might help so I drew a sketch. Let me know if you have any questions. I think the main problem is you don't want to Kink the metal by forcing it too fast. Using a clamp will allow you to bend it slowly with a few turns of the handle a little at a time.

26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 08:40:20 PM »
My last sketch was upside down!

26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 08:51:14 PM »
Okay, I give up! Just imagine the lid upside down.

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 09:45:06 PM »
Okay, I give up! Just imagine the lid upside down.

Ha!  Thanks @Larry The BBQ Guy! You gave me exactly the laughs I needed tonight.  I greatly appreciate your beautiful sketch.  I can sure see that working.  This strap should benefit, too.  I'll have to hit up my Dad's woodworking shop for some appropriate clamps and wood.

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 09:53:23 PM »
Great to hear Grilligin! I'm laughing with you. Thanks for the comment on the sketch.