Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Charcoal  (Read 3412 times)

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
Weber Charcoal
« on: December 14, 2017, 09:20:59 AM »
I tried Weber Charcoal over Kingsford in my most recent cooks. The temps seemed harder to control but the overall result was great. Has anyone else experimented with this Charcoal? I was put off by its odor at first. It has a diesel oil smell to it. The odor didn't transfer over into the meat and it seems to work fine. Maybe I'm to sentimental about the Kingsford scent but I'm probably going to continue to use that for my future cooks once this Weber stuff runs out.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

Joetee

• WKC Brave
Re: Weber Charcoal
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 09:33:38 AM »
I like Stubb's the best. I also like Weber. I've used a couple bags now.
Since we are now in winter and it's windy, I've move my grill into my 30x40 garage.
I tried Kingsford and it about killed me with smoke and eye burning. I didn't have near this problem with the other two.
I leave the grill by the large open drive through door.
I'm not happy with Kingsford at all for this reason.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

itzyoboipaul

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 09:42:07 AM »
Only charcoal I have left in the garage are Stubbs and weber

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 09:42:22 AM »
Yeah I never notice the smell as Weber charcoal lights up, compared to KBB. Being around Kingsford as it starts up is like sucking in a Superfund site that got prematurely defunded. Like you're actively participating in your own impending doom. Looking around to see if small animals are laying on the ground, immovable.

I could go on.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 09:49:36 AM »
Weber and Stubb's is almost all I use.
Never noticed a diesel smell.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 09:56:16 AM »
Weber and Stubb's is almost all I use.
Never noticed a diesel smell.

Same and same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »

I tried Weber Charcoal over Kingsford in my most recent cooks. The temps seemed harder to control but the overall result was great. Has anyone else experimented with this Charcoal? I was put off by its odor at first. It has a diesel oil smell to it. The odor didn't transfer over into the meat and it seems to work fine. Maybe I'm to sentimental about the Kingsford scent but I'm probably going to continue to use that for my future cooks once this Weber stuff runs out.

This has been my experience as well. I used weber last night and thought it smelled terrible compared to kingsford.

Funny how different the opinions are on charcoal smells.

I’ll use any charcoal that’s on sale. I haven’t noticed any bad flavors in the end result of any I’ve tried.

I like weber best for long cooks and kingsford or royal oak for short cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 10:08:06 AM »
Interesting that you think Weber smells more than KBB.  I was a KBB only guy until I moved to Denver and gave Weber a second try.  I think it smells way better than KBB, and I found that at a mile high Kingsford just wasn't cutting it.  It took a lot more to hit the same temps I was used to when I lived in AZ, and it burned up a lot quicker.  I got 25 bags of weber when it was on clearance.  Still have 3-4 bags of KBB in my shed that I had when I stocked up on weber and haven't used it once.  I do think the Weber takes a little longer to light, and for medium and hot cooks I think it's important to really make sure it's totally lit.  If it isn't your grill is probably going to go up in temp as it finishes lighting once in the kettle.  For slow and low I also think it blows KBB out of the water. It seems to burn a lot longer and there is a less ash.

If you try it a few more times and go back to KBB I'll totally understand.  I tried a few different things and always went back to KBB until I tried Weber at altitude.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 10:32:02 AM »
... I do think the Weber takes a little longer to light, ...

My experience has been different, for lighting used charcoal. I'll regularly shake off the ash and dump them back into the chimney. Used KBB is almost worthless to me, but used Weber is like new Weber, only smaller.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 10:34:13 AM »
... I do think the Weber takes a little longer to light, ...

My experience has been different, for lighting used charcoal. I'll regularly shake off the ash and dump them back into the chimney. Used KBB is almost worthless to me, but used Weber is like new Weber, only smaller.

I'm guessing the thinner air has something to do with how long it takes for my to light charcoal here in Denver!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 10:59:24 AM »
stubbs and weber
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 11:02:32 AM »
As nasty as KBB smells you're comparing it to anything else.  Sounds like you've gone nose blind

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 11:10:27 AM »
I also have been using Char-Broil lump that I picked up $2 a box and that has absolutely no smell to it.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 11:19:59 AM »
I like cooking on the Weber Charcoal, but it does smoke out the yard while it is getting up to temp.
With Royal Oak (briquettes or lump) I can leave the grill on the patio. When I use KBB or Weber I have to roll it out away from the house until the coals get going.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »
D@mn, all I use is KBB.  Never had a problem.

Sorry to hear about all of you guys and your sensitive eyes and nostrils.

Tonight's NY Strip night.  So, in about an hour or so, you'll find me on my deck with a chimney of KBB going, a scotch, and Oliva V. 

BD
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 11:46:13 AM by Big Dawg »
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna