Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoked mac and cheese  (Read 2194 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Smoked mac and cheese
« on: November 27, 2017, 06:18:24 AM »
First time making mac and cheese, let alone doing it on the grill. I followed Malcom Reed's recipe. The recipe didn't specify how much wood to use for smoke. The video says he used a pellet grill with pecan pellets. I searched the comments and Malcom recommended 2-3 chunks of wood so be I went with 2 chunks of pecan. Overall it was more smokey tasting and not enough cheesy tasting than I would have liked. Next time I'll try just one chunk. I will also didn't cover it at all so next time I'll cover it partway through so it doesn't get so dark. The final product also wasn't as creamy as I would like but eating it several hours after taking it off the grill might have had something to do with that?  All in all it was a good experience and fun to cook a non-meat thing on the kettle.

All mixed up

Topped and about to go in the grill. Next time I also should mix the bacon and panko so the topping is more consistent.

One hour later
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Smoked mac and cheese
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 06:31:03 AM »
Looks amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 06:15:20 PM »
Thanks for the advice and for sharing what you’d do differently next time. I’ve got to try this! Yours looks great!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 06:04:57 AM »
Wow that looks great, I might have to give that a shot! Where did you find the recipe?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 06:26:53 AM »
Wow that looks great, I might have to give that a shot! Where did you find the recipe?

Ask and ye shall receive!

http://howtobbqright.com/tag/smoked-mac-and-cheese-recipe/

If you end up making it I would be interested to see how yours turns out. It would give me more data points on what I might need to adjust.

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 07:52:12 AM »
Thanks, I'll update here when I make it.

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 02:59:32 PM »
So I made it exactly how the recipe said and it turned out great! I used one piece of apple wood for smoke, all I have is apple wood. I did one piece because that's what you recommended. It was good and you could taste the smoke in the crust, you could tell it was made on a grill which the wife and I really enjoyed.

Next time I might add another piece off wood and and see how I like it. I didn't mix the Mac up like you did so when you take a scoop you got a piece of crust with the smoke flavor and a scoop of Mac with less smoke so it was a nice mix.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 07:53:44 PM »
Looks good! I have this on my list but haven't got around to trying it.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 08:17:21 PM »
So I made it exactly how the recipe said and it turned out great! I used one piece of apple wood for smoke, all I have is apple wood. I did one piece because that's what you recommended. It was good and you could taste the smoke in the crust, you could tell it was made on a grill which the wife and I really enjoyed.

Next time I might add another piece off wood and and see how I like it. I didn't mix the Mac up like you did so when you take a scoop you got a piece of crust with the smoke flavor and a scoop of Mac with less smoke so it was a nice mix.

Thanks for sharing your results! I actually didn't mix the mac up either. The crust definitely had the most smoke flavor, too much I would dare say. The mac itself I thought had the right amount of smoke. Looking forward to hear about your next iteration.

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 09:19:06 AM »

Thanks for sharing your results! I actually didn't mix the mac up either. The crust definitely had the most smoke flavor, too much I would dare say. The mac itself I thought had the right amount of smoke. Looking forward to hear about your next iteration.
I bet it has to do with pecan vs apple, apple is a little lighter and I only used the 1 piece...

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 11:15:57 AM »
That's a good point. When I got my little it came with a bunch of hickory chunks so that's all I knew and only recently picked up other wood. Apple is on my list to try.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 01:58:50 AM »
Nice!  Will have to try.   

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club