Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vac bag bbq  (Read 1311 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Vac bag bbq
« on: October 24, 2017, 02:17:12 AM »
I recently made pork and brisket strictly to stock the freezer for other recipes. Last night I dropped a bag of frozen pulled pork in simmering water to heat up. Wow!!  I think it was way better than the day I made it.

How do you guys go about vac bagging leftovers?  I pulled the pork and put it in the vac bags still warm and sealed then straight to the freezer.  Worked but was pretty messy as the pork was still hot and very juicy.

I made pulled pork nachos last night. This is quickly becoming one of the most requested.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:18:44 AM by HoosierKettle »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Vac bag bbq
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 03:59:57 AM »
I don’t have a vac system but I wait till it’s cool enough to handle then bag it. Plunge the bags in a sink full of water to help get the air out then seal them up. I’m not sure if you feel this way but I think something happens when you refrigerate smoked meat that the smoke flavor becomes stronger. If I know I’m going to freeze a lot for leftovers I’ll use very little smoke wood to keep it mild. Like you said, drop the bag in hot water then it’s good to go. Easy dinner. Those nachos look killer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 04:27:00 AM »
Normally I just use regular freezer bags, but I do have a vac sealer. I’ll have to give it a go. Dude, those nachos... hells yes [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Vac bag bbq
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 05:07:26 AM »
Last time I tried warming up leftovers in a ziplock in simmering water, the bag failed so I abandoned that method. Maybe I just had a generic bag.

I put a few splashes of vinegar sauce and dusted with rub then mixed up and bagged. The vac bag really draws in all the smoke and seasoning into all the meat. I was worried the little bit of vinegar sauce would make the meat mushy but it didn’t at all. I used it sparingly.  This was my favorite pork so far.

The nachos are super easy. Chips, pork, cheese, Valentina, jalapeño, bake 15 minutes, drizzle a mix of sour cream and your favorite bbq sauce. The family loves it.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:20:58 AM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 05:08:51 AM »
And yes Brandon, I think the smoke flavor intensifies on leftovers regardless of packaging method. I like that though.

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 06:12:43 AM »

I always pull the pork, then chill it overnight before vacuum bagging it. This is less messy than trying to vacuum it while it's still warm and juicy, especially since I have a vacuum sealer with a snorkel. Getting pork juices sucked into the innards of the sealer is not good. [emoji15]

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:15:10 AM by Dsorgnzd »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 07:01:15 AM »

I always pull the pork, then chill it overnight before vacuum bagging it. This is less messy than trying to vacuum it while it's still warm and juicy, especially since I have a vacuum sealer with a snorkel. Getting pork juices sucked into the innards of the sealer is not good. [emoji15]

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I will do this next time. My food saver has a “moist” setting for sealing wet stuff. Not sure what that does different. It also has a grease trap that I removed and cleaned when finished. I cleaned the whole thing once I was finished but not sure if any grease went where it wasn’t suppose to.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 12:02:41 PM »
Those nachos look awesome!  Especially that sauce.  Well done. 

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 01:45:19 PM »
I pull the pork into a bowl and cool it overnight in the fridge before vacuum sealing.  If you have juice from a pan or some other method, keep it separately and freeze in ice cube trays.  Once frozen, toss in a big ziploc and keep in the freezer.

To reheat, toss the (frozen) bag into simmering water until hot but do not cook.  Add a melted cube of pork juice if you saved it and toss before serving.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 03:00:57 PM »

I pull the pork into a bowl and cool it overnight in the fridge before vacuum sealing.  If you have juice from a pan or some other method, keep it separately and freeze in ice cube trays.  Once frozen, toss in a big ziploc and keep in the freezer.

To reheat, toss the (frozen) bag into simmering water until hot but do not cook.  Add a melted cube of pork juice if you saved it and toss before serving.

Damn that’s a great idea. I had a ton of juice that I through out.  Thanks!