Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: getting the temp right  (Read 1026 times)

namtrag

• WKC Brave
getting the temp right
« on: October 10, 2017, 12:27:41 PM »
Hi guys, 

Been cooking on my Weber a while, but am now getting more into it.  I wanted to double check with you experts about when to start your cook.

I think I have been going about it wrong.  For example yesterday, I fired up my SSP, filled the baskets with coal, and when they got good and ready, I threw on a couple of chunks of pecan, thenput the country ribs on indirect and put the lid on.  The temp soared to over 500 right off the bat, so I had to more or less shut the vents top and bottom until it cooled down to 300 or so, which took at least 10-15 minutes, meaning I was cooking way too hot for a little while. 

Am I worrying too much about it, or should I get my temp right before putting the meat on?

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
Re: getting the temp right
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 12:34:05 PM »
I am no expert by any means but what I normally do is when I dump my charcoal  i put the lid on and let it sit for a bit. And I choke down my vents ( usually half on bottom and top) . That brings ur temp down. It’s all about ur vents . Start trying different options and u will find what works best for you .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 01:23:56 PM »
Start off with less lit charcoal

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 01:29:42 PM »
I always get grill to temp I'm looking for and then put my meat on.
And how much coal I start is all determined by what kind of cooking I'm doing.
As stated by @Dc_smoke309 "Its all about ur vents."
You'll get the hang of it, just keep at it. Happy Grilling 

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 01:36:57 PM »
I try to let my coals “settle in”. Best advise I heard was from @Cellar2ful when he stated that he learned to go have a glass or two of wine and let the coals come to temp.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 02:12:31 PM »
This helps a lot.  Patience is a virtue in this stuff.  On most of my cooks I have plenty of hot coals left, meaning I could have let it settle in first.  It's so un-American to be patient though!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 02:26:50 PM »
"a couple chunks" of small wood will quickly raise temps

That stuff always burns faster and hotter than charcoal, including lump.

Some guys will "only" place smoke wood on the cook grate, and let it be a subtle influence (I think the cook grate location is normally too subtle unless it's right over the coals.)

My suggestion would be as stated above, spread or arrange coals, put the cook grate on and let it settle for a few minutes. Once you know you're in the ballpark, add smoke wood. But go easy; you only need to smoke during the first phase of cooking, not throughout unless maybe doing low and slow, and even then smoke wood is introduced into the mix every so often to avoid high heat and/or heavy smoke.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 02:34:55 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice.  I am learning and even most of the time, what I do is really tasty....once I dial it in, it will be even better!  I do try to go easy on the wood...mostly I use pecan or apple since they are pretty mild. 

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 03:54:31 PM »
@namtrag Patience is a virtue I myself do not have... unless grilling. I agree with @Travis about what he said about @Cellar2ful . I get my grill to the temp I want with the wood chunk inside smoking (If using wood chips remember they will catch fire quick and bring the temp  up)and then put the food on whether it be Ribs, pork shoulder, fish, steak, sorry I need to stop I'm getting hungry. Raining outside and way to tired to start the grill up.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 12:05:54 AM »
...I generally fill up the baskets on my Master Touch, and close the lid and let the grill pre-heat for 10 minutes before putting on my food.  During this time, i can adjust the top and bottom vents (bottom is at least half closed) until I get a constant 250C.