Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SV+Vortex Beef Short Ribs  (Read 1604 times)

MossyMO

• WKC Brave
    • Owens BBQ
SV+Vortex Beef Short Ribs
« on: July 16, 2017, 11:25:37 AM »
Sous Vide beef short ribs at 135º for 72 hours then cold shocked them in ice water and refrigerated overnight. Cooked them indirect around the Vortex.

-----

About when they were up to temp gave them each a quick sear.

-----

All seared and ready to come off the grill.

-----

These are going to go well with a cold one...

-----

No knife or fork needed, they melted in our mouths like butter!

Thanks for looking!

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: SV+Vortex Beef Short Ribs
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 11:33:42 AM »
Gotta try that - looks perfect. This is why SV is so cool.
Retired

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 05:47:26 PM »
Amazing! Sous vide is definitely gaining some momentum.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 05:57:38 PM »
Dang, that looks amazing. What final internal temp did you take them to?

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 06:37:06 PM »
Wow looks great!

MossyMO

• WKC Brave
    • Owens BBQ
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 08:36:49 PM »
Dang, that looks amazing. What final internal temp did you take them to?[/url]

Not sure of final internal temp, but right before searing them it was 115º to 120º.

ryno5000

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 05:01:23 AM »
Cooking food that long in the temp. danger zone is very dangerous. Even though that looks awesome and is obviously very tender it may not be worth the risk to cook that way. Not to be negative but people die from e.coli and salmonella especially kids and the elderly. I want my food to travel through the danger zone rapidly whether heating or cooling..then maintain at over 141 low and slow as long as needed. Also, 90% of chicken naturally contains salmonella so it doesn't matter how food is wrapped or packaged beforehand it already contains harmful bacteria. Be safe...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 05:30:42 AM »
After reading up on SV, it sounds like he did it exactly right to be safe. Sv is more accurate than traditional cooking. The site I looked at says cooking at 135 will kill all bacteria.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 06:51:25 AM »
Cooking food that long in the temp. danger zone is very dangerous. Even though that looks awesome and is obviously very tender it may not be worth the risk to cook that way. Not to be negative but people die from e.coli and salmonella especially kids and the elderly. I want my food to travel through the danger zone rapidly whether heating or cooling..then maintain at over 141 low and slow as long as needed. Also, 90% of chicken naturally contains salmonella so it doesn't matter how food is wrapped or packaged beforehand it already contains harmful bacteria. Be safe...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

It's not dangerous at all.   Since the food is held at an exact temperature, it actually pasteurizes it.  The done temp for meats is the temp at which all bacteria is instantly killed.  If you hold lower temperatures at a steady temp for a long enough period of time it does the same thing.  The amount of time a food needs to be held at a specific temp increases exponentially as the temperature lower.

This article does a good job of explaining the pasteurization temps and times for chicken.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 06:52:19 AM »
Great cook Marty.  Short ribs and beef ribs in general are so unpredictable if you try to slow smoke them.  Using the Sous Vide makes a lot of sense!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 06:58:15 AM »
Thanks for the link. Serious Eats does some great articles on cooking.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 04:47:46 PM »
Haven't tried beef ribs yet. That looks delicious.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie