Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ground beef  (Read 989 times)

Groovinn

• Smokey Joe
Ground beef
« on: July 16, 2017, 06:47:30 AM »
Ok, added a Jumbo to the house and am now interested in making fresh ground beef for hamburgers.
Anybody have any tips, tricks, methods?

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
Re: Ground beef
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 09:08:04 AM »
I like to buy a chuck roast (3-5 lbs., depending on how many people I'm having over) and grinding the meat myself. I scored a grinding attachment to our KitchenAid mixer a few months ago so I use that. It can be some work, but nothing beats fresh ground chuck burgers!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 10:13:45 AM »
Best tip: Make sure the meat is very cold when grinding. Stick it in the freezer for a few minutes.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

RonSwanson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 10:25:02 AM »
Cut your meat into 1in cubes and throw it in the freezer. Do not letit freeze but you want it nice and cold.  Sometimes Ill cut up a few strips of fatty bacon and grind it with the beef.  I also have a plastic burger press. Not as nice as some of the metal ones but gets the job done and they hold together better than hand formed. If you choose to add seasoning, mix it with a small amount of liquid for even distribution.

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 10:41:25 AM »
All great advise. And all very important advise. YouTube some videos. They will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 07:58:35 AM »
I've been doing this for a bit too!   As was said:  Make sure meat is almost frozen when grinding.   
I've been using a combination chuck, and sirloin burger.   I get 4 lbs chuck roast, 1.5 sirloin, and sometimes I grind a pound of bacon into it too!
loosely form, then fridge for at least 20 minutes before cooking.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 02:22:39 PM »
I have the grinder attachment for my KitchenAid also. It does a great job on small batches (1-2 lbs.) of beef or venison.
I agree that the colder the meat, the better it works.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 02:40:02 PM »
Do yourself a favor at some point and grind some great 60/40 burger and you will never go back to the standard grind. Then cook your burgers to about 135 internal and enjoy the best burger you have ever eaten.

I like to start with chuck roasts and then for the fat on this batch, I used the fat I cut off of a whole ribeye loin.

This is what makes a great burger...great fat and not standard floor sweepings.

Meat prepped for grinding.

About 15 pounds of my white burger just thru my grinder.

Vacuum sealed for the freezer.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 02:53:53 PM »
Oh man, Old Dave. That beef looks amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Groovinn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »
Ok, I already have a KitchenAid. Will look into the attachment for it. I'm thinking that this will be doable in the future.
Thanks everyone

RonSwanson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 02:55:45 PM »
I too am very happy with my kitchen aid grinder and stuffer. I wouldn't grind a hole deer but a few pounds for burgers or small batch sausage it's just fine.

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app