Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Time Whole Turkey  (Read 2551 times)

WinnipegKettle

• Smokey Joe
First Time Whole Turkey
« on: June 14, 2017, 02:29:50 AM »
Going to attempt my first whole turkey on my Performer. Should i use the snake method or bank up the coals on each side with a drip tray underneath. Should i brine it the night before? Turkey is about 10-12 LBS. Any suggestions would be great and thanks. Oh ya i'm not afraid to experiment with it i always have Chinese or pizza on speed dial if i end up with burnt bird.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: First Time Whole Turkey
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 02:38:03 AM »
I like the drip tray method. Works well, and keeps the mess down.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 03:17:47 AM »
If I brine, I do it 2 days in adv.

So like on Thanksgiving on a Thursday I brine overnight on Tuesday then take the bird out on Wed and let the bird sit in the fridge Wed to Thursday.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 03:19:19 AM »
Oh, and yes... brining is key.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 04:21:09 AM »
I have not brined a turkey and we haven't had dry turkey yet. I always use a drip pan and use baskets for the coals to make an indirect setup. If you use any wood for smoke use very little as poultry takes the smoke very easily. If I was cooking a turkey today I'd  spatchcock it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 06:17:25 AM »

spatchcock the turkey would be a great way to go

22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

stev

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 09:09:57 AM »
If you have a colored kettle use baskets next to a drip pan. I have crazing on one of my reds from banking coals. Brining and drying per @LightningBoldtz is a great plan. The brining makes the meat moist and succulent and the drying makes the skin crispy.

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 04:11:09 PM »
Brine for 24hours, dispatch (spatchcock), EVOO (optional), dry rub, bbq indirect 300-350 to 165* IT (at the thigh).

At least that's how I do it. Tons of ways. And yes, don't forget your drip pan-

WinnipegKettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 02:18:52 AM »
Thanks for all the tips. Brining is key so that's a must. Well we will see how it goes.

WinnipegKettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 02:10:05 AM »
Well the turkey turned out great after having go fiddle with the charcoal(snake method) for the 6 hours it was on i just couldn't get it to stay lit.I used Royal Oak charcoal from Walmart which i have never used so maybe that was part of  my problem. After i piled the coals up and turned the bird even 20 min for the last hour or so it went a little smoother. Now the juices were still running red(after the six hours at about 250F) so i had to put it in the oven for a half hour longer. I'm thinking it was still a bit frozen in the middle as i really didn't give it enough time to thaw out of the freezer as the bird was way bigger than i thought. I used the broiler pan from the old stove which i filled with chicken broth breast side down for the first 2 hours then flipped it for the remainder of the cook. As much trouble as it was i would do it again.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 06:11:03 AM »
Soldiered on thru some difficulties on that one!!!

You can go somewhat higher heat & still be oK......snaked charcoals may not quite getcha up high enough temp, but I have burned around 320f for extended periods that way before, so who knows, if you were to pile them up good?

I like the "down in" setup......it's a little tricky, as getting the burn too close or too hot can singe the outer edges of things....

See Here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/favorites-part-two-turkey/msg80545/#msg80545

Maybe some possibilities.....glad it still worked out.....big pieces like that are worth the time it takes!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 07:10:56 AM »
Soldiered on thru some difficulties on that one!!!

You can go somewhat higher heat & still be oK......snaked charcoals may not quite getcha up high enough temp, but I have burned around 320f for extended periods that way before, so who knows, if you were to pile them up good?

I like the "down in" setup......it's a little tricky, as getting the burn too close or too hot can singe the outer edges of things....

See Here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/favorites-part-two-turkey/msg80545/#msg80545

Maybe some possibilities.....glad it still worked out.....big pieces like that are worth the time it takes!!!
@1buckie I like that method as well but in my 26 which makes it a little easier
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

WinnipegKettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 01:55:24 AM »
Yes next time i will turn up the heat.

mlewkowicz

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 05:43:57 PM »
I've been barbecuing the turkey on thanksgiving for 30 years.  Turns out great every time .  Here's my technique.  I get a full basket of charcoal going.  I made a rectangular of a piece of 2in sheet metal (I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy those baskets). It's 6"x 17" and I put in the center.  I pour the hot coals evenly on both sides.  Then I take about 6 cups of those used bits of charcoal (did I say I was frugal?) and spread them evenly on top of the hot coals.  Then I take about 40 new briquettes and split them evenly on top of the used charcoal.  That way I don't ever have to add additional charcoal (oh, did I say I was lazy, too?).  I put the turkey in a pan so I can collect the juices because, it's all about the gravy imho.  I don't bother with brining (lazy, remember?).  I slather the bird with softened butter and only baste once or twice the first hour.  I use a meat thermometer to determine doneness. 

WinnipegKettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 06:40:40 PM »
End result....