Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I can't handle the handle  (Read 8671 times)

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
Re: I can't handle the handle
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2017, 08:58:33 PM »
Has anyone on here seriously ever burned their hand lifting the lid?  With the vortex my handle gets pretty hot but I'm not stupid I put on a glove. 

My 26 has a fireplace handle.  Just can't do the taco, Sorry.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2017, 03:29:34 AM »
What's the topper?

Said the young whipper snapper who said:

For the older gentlemen here, "Down" is urban slang for "this is the side I choose"..
Touché [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2017, 04:06:22 AM »
My 1999 Ranch has pretacos.. bolted on handles without the obnoxious
Cheap looking aluminum "Taco"
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2017, 04:07:47 AM »
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2017, 05:19:21 AM »
How do we determine the age of a Ranch? (apologies to myself for hijacking the thread)
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2017, 05:31:06 AM »
I am more disappointed that the Taco is cross-ways to the vent,  Major departure from the classic 22. I don't like the taller handles. More twisting moment exerted on that porcelain surface. One could countersink a tapered head screw and file it off smooth and you couldn't tell it was bolted, Add some correct color paint and you wouldn't know it was not welded on. I like the silver metal handle re-bent to the to the classic shape. I don't mind the screw heads showing. That is strong metal in that Taco strap. If you rock the shield back and forth when you remove it from the handle it deforms the bottom surface. If you put it back on  it can chip the porcelain. I have a small chip it my black Master Touch lid. Lucky it's under the handle and you don't see it. Bottom line is either it is worth accepting it like it comes and working from there or it isn't. I would be willing to accept a Taco handle lid kettle if it had Dark Blue or a good Yellow porcelain.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2017, 05:45:03 AM »
I am more disappointed that the Taco is cross-ways to the vent,  Major departure from the classic 22.

I'm with you, here. My beef more so is that the handle and vent were reoriented back to pre 1963 style. If your kettle does not have a lid bale then it is rather cumbersome to hang the lid on the bowl. Before 1963, in the metal lid handle era, the vent was parallel to the handle like today except for that the lid hook was OPPOSITE the vent on the other side of the handle. I am 100% confident that the 1963 change to the handle turning TOWARDS the vent and the lid hook moving under the vent was to make lid removal and hanging on the bowl more user friendly. I can handle the taco handle. I just wish they hadn't changed the setup back to the handle being turned "away" from the vent again. Maybe that's how they get people to upsell into an Master Touch or a Performer model? It could be a marketing strategy of sorts. Who knows.. Incidentally, the 18.5 kettle has ALWAYS had the lid handle turned parallel or "away" from the lid vent but the 18 lid is not as cumbersome to stow on the bowl as a 22 or 26 would be w/o a lid bale.

HAVING SAID THAT...... I won't turn down a pre 1963 metal lid handle (Wood Dale, IL. era) kettle if one were to ever come available.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 05:53:59 AM by Craig »

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2017, 06:20:51 AM »
Wow. didn't know that. I feel better about my newer kettles now knowing they are similar to the old ones. My 18 helped me get used to the turned handle also.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2017, 06:54:22 AM »
If anyone has a taco handle they want to sell I actually need two of them.  Surely one of the complainers here must have some they are willing to part with.  I would love to work a deal....let me know

I'm looking for a taco shell or two, as well. Don't need the handle/straps, just looking for the shell.

...and for the record, I'm not a fan of the look. That being said, they do their job, and I want a couple for my Weber firepit.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2017, 07:41:31 AM »

C'mon, really ??  This topic again ?? …. Sad.  :'( :'( :'(

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/i-hate-the-taco-handle-there-i-said-it/

I can handle it ...

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2017, 08:06:09 AM »
I am more disappointed that the Taco is cross-ways to the vent,  Major departure from the classic 22.

I'm with you, here. My beef more so is that the handle and vent were reoriented back to pre 1963 style. If your kettle does not have a lid bale then it is rather cumbersome to hang the lid on the bowl. Before 1963, in the metal lid handle era, the vent was parallel to the handle like today except for that the lid hook was OPPOSITE the vent on the other side of the handle. I am 100% confident that the 1963 change to the handle turning TOWARDS the vent and the lid hook moving under the vent was to make lid removal and hanging on the bowl more user friendly. I can handle the taco handle. I just wish they hadn't changed the setup back to the handle being turned "away" from the vent again. Maybe that's how they get people to upsell into an Master Touch or a Performer model? It could be a marketing strategy of sorts. Who knows.. Incidentally, the 18.5 kettle has ALWAYS had the lid handle turned parallel or "away" from the lid vent but the 18 lid is not as cumbersome to stow on the bowl as a 22 or 26 would be w/o a lid bale.

HAVING SAID THAT...... I won't turn down a pre 1963 metal lid handle (Wood Dale, IL. era) kettle if one were to ever come available.

This is my main beef too, I am not a fan of the new style ash bucket, if I get arthritis someday it will be very hard for me to use it.  I might have to convert to gas or just stick to my Kamado......

Taco Handles, meh not a big deal to me.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
I can't handle the handle
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2017, 08:38:08 AM »
Only thing I like about the taco is it makes all the older welded handle black ots 22 and 18 suddenly more desirable and we shouldn't run out of a used market on those for awhile yet. [emoji3]

And also to TD's point, the handle to vent relationship I like much better on the old 22's

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:40:37 AM by HoosierKettle »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2017, 08:39:31 AM »
Only thing I like about the taco is it makes all the older welded handle black ots 22 and 18 suddenly more desirable and we shouldn't run out of a used market on those for awhile yet. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Truth. I want every older OTG that I see. It's a disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2017, 08:56:54 AM »
Ahhhh......I sense some amongst us are beginning to cross over to the TACO side!!! Weakness in the heart for all things Weber in this case will get you more TACO!!!!! So cut the weakness from your chests my friends. Look to Mr Lemans and his Ranchero example for strength if you have to but do give in to that which is THE TACO.

Mr Zavod may have given himself over to the power of the TACO but we can maybe save him. He has skills which must be preserved.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2017, 09:17:42 AM »

Alright, it's no longer a secret …
The Statesmen are working on a compilation thread, and this very one will be included …. 

Titled:

Be a Weber Whiner in 2017!   :o :P ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.