Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ideas of what to do with this  (Read 2565 times)

james1787

• WKC Ranger
Ideas of what to do with this
« on: April 02, 2017, 05:04:27 PM »
Today at the grocery store I learned we had spent enough money to earn one of these for free.

Looking for ideas of what to do with it on the Weber 22". I figure maybe smoke it?
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ideas of what to do with this
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »
Yes smoke it. You will not be disappointed. I think I had it soaking in a Belgium white from fat tire before hand and then continuously spooned the beer over it every hour or so.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 07:42:08 PM »
Spin it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 09:11:42 PM »
x2 for spinning it

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 10:27:41 PM »
Yeah forget what i said...spin it

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 10:37:35 PM »
Yeah! Forget spooning Belgian ale over the ham. Spoon it into your mouth.

For me, the best part of cooking a ham is the leftovers. Stuff you can cook for breakfast - like hash, or the bean soups that you can make with the last bits of ham and the bone.

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 04:20:45 AM »
 Make your own Weber rotisserie for $30.00
You will need
1 Old Weber
1 Universal rotisserie kit, home center about $30.00
1 Thermometer for the lid about $6 at the home center. You will not know your cook temperature without this.

1. Drill 2 5/16 holes, one inch below lower kettle rim, in the center of the kettle parallel to the wheels.
2. Run spit rod through holes, mount motor bracket on left side. Bracket will have to be shimmed out do to curvature of kettle.
    Do not attach bracket without shims for this will add heat transfer to the bracket and motor.
3. I sawed off the non-point end of the skewer rod so only a few inches protrude when in use.

The rod goes into the motor on the left side. The bushing keeps the rod from walking out the right side.
   Questions?
   Thanks,
   E
Shopping Friday night, Meat aisle, Hams. Seen this Hillshire Farms ham for $7 bucks. Priced to sell fast do to a small leak in the vacuum packaging. I made it mine.

Saturday afternoon tie up.

Heat wave 35 degrees outside.

Started cooking at 375 and let it drop down to 275, cooked it about 3 hours total.

Hickory does its magic.

Saturday night

Sunday morning

When your done with the ham do a turkey!

Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 07:40:18 AM »
Thanks guys for the replies!

Spinning looks like a good way to do it.. and thank you for the great detailed instructions, although I'm not quite sure I'm ready to drill my vintage kettle to do it. It does look easy enough though and I love the price.  A rotisserie is something I plan to add down the road.

For now though I think I'll stick to smoking it. So the belgian white is all I need? Anything else I need to prep it with? How long did you soak it in beer?

What kind of wood would go best with ham for smoking it?

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 02:00:59 PM »
Smoke it with apple wood cut side down in a pan with pineapple juice.  Baste a few times.  Makes it nice an moist.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 09:16:34 PM »
Make a small pork butt.
Smoke that ham.

Get some:
Mustard
Swiss cheese
Pickles
A nice roll

= Cuban sandwich
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 03:10:06 AM »
Send it to me... I'll take care of it... :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »
Hey guys, so this thing is 11 lbs. I am planning on smoking it cut side down in a pan as suggested. What sort of pit temps should I shoot for and what kind of ballpark might I be looking at for a cooktime? What sort of internal temp am I aiming for. Just trying to figure out start times as some of my family is coming over for easter dinner  :)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 01:50:51 PM »
I don't remember exactly but I did a 20 lb in the oven at 250 for 4-5 hours in a pan wrapped tight then glazed on the grill for an hour with high indirect. Turned out great. Used a honey mustard glaze I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 07:33:46 AM »
I did this one on the kettle.  Did it at around 300 degrees.  I let the ham sit in about 1" to 1 1/2" of pineapple juice and it takes about 3 hours or so to do.  I put the pineapple rings and cherries on and pour some cherry juice and apple juice over the ham and grill.  One of my wife's favorite things I grill as she really loves ham.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 03:33:41 PM »
I did this one on the kettle.  Did it at around 300 degrees.  I let the ham sit in about 1" to 1 1/2" of pineapple juice and it takes about 3 hours or so to do.  I put the pineapple rings and cherries on and pour some cherry juice and apple juice over the ham and grill.  One of my wife's favorite things I grill as she really loves ham.

Looks great.  That's how I do it.  I usually keep it around 350.  Like the pinapple slices.  Nice cook!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson