Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: MikeRocksTheRed's Pretzel cook and breakfast sandwiches  (Read 2912 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: MikeRocksTheRed's Pretzel cook and breakfast sandwiches
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 07:17:51 PM »
That's true, Mike. Looking at the pic, that center bar would have been a better set up, but like you said, I'd still contact them. They'd probably like to hear your feedback whether they replace it or not. As long as it still works though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 07:52:52 PM »

Your supersized pretzels look like the ones I get at the A's games.  Nice job @MikeRocksTheRed.  This has been fun following you guys that accepted the challenge.  Your not the first nor will you be the last to melt a thermometer on a RK. Other thermometers did not fare as well (right @Troy).

Hah, I actually found a piece of that mav 732 yesterday!

5onia

• Smokey Joe
MikeRocksTheRed's Pretzel cook and breakfast sandwiches
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 01:08:05 PM »
They look amazing Mike, well done!!! I'm so craving a breakfast pretzel now after seeing those pics. Love that you added avocado, I'm so going this next time [emoji2] Great detailed bake and post, you should be very pleased! I'm laughing because I used my iPhone torch and watched through the vent hole while I was baking mine too[emoji23]

Some tips for your next bake.....
Just did some bakers maths and your dough is 75% hydration. The dough I use is 47% hydration. Pretzel dough can't be sticky at all, if it's not the right hydration you have no hope of shaping them because they  are sticky. Guessing that's why you had the problem with the baking paper. You also can't add flour to your bench otherwise they won't roll. The dough has to be spot on perfect straight from the bowl to be able to shape them. Generally 75% hydration is a good pizza dough. Try cutting back on the water.

Also your lye solution is approx.  4.2% I wouldn't recommend going above  3.5%, anywhere between 3%-3.5% is recommended.  If the lye is to strong you can burn your mouth when eating them.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 03:35:07 PM »
Wow Mike, that's awesome!
I'd try it for pretzel buns alone
I messed up a thermopop and thermoworks did right by me...just saying they're a great company

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 08:48:14 AM »
Now I gota try this pretzel thing.  Great cook and pics!  Looks like the dough recipe is close to a pizza dough recipe.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »
Now I gota try this pretzel thing.  Great cook and pics!  Looks like the dough recipe is close to a pizza dough recipe.

It's not far off from pizza dough.  The recipe I went with had a lot of yeast which is why it didn't need any significant rising periods.  It did come out very sticky and was tricky to deal with.  I think as @5onia mentioned the dough shouldn't be that sticky so I'd probably change up my recipe on my next batch of pretzels.  The taste was awesome though!  I'd also consider brushing the edge of further pizza cooks with a lye solution to see if it ends up with a pretzel crust!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

5onia

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 12:38:51 PM »
OMG Mike please do it!!! A pretzel crust pizza would be amazing, you are a genius! Please let me know how it goes[emoji2]

phillyc0wb0y

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 07:21:02 PM »
Awesome cook!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 07:55:11 AM »
Wow! That looks amazing!  So, who won the pretzel challenge?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 07:58:42 AM »
We all did!!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 10:02:01 AM »
Wow! That looks amazing!  So, who won the pretzel challenge?

We'll have to wait for the russians to finish the hack....  LOL!!!   

Yes @MikeRocksTheRed , WE all did, especially those of us that got to EAT the results!!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.