Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Varekais' Pretzel bake..  (Read 1866 times)

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
Re: Varekais' Pretzel bake..
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 02:13:33 AM »
Looks amazing  !!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Varekais' Pretzel bake..
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 04:22:50 AM »
Dang! That looks awesome!! We are making ours this morning before we head out for the day so I'll be posting some pics tonight.

Great job @varekai !! And looking forward to seeing yours @Mike RocksTheRed !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 01:14:36 PM »
Mike, I hear what your saying about doing the next round in the oven but I wonder if it would still be better on the RK? I don't own one but I'd look at the extra capacity and think of it as a time savings. Lots of staging and destaging with the oven. Am I on to something here?

I think the oven might actually be able to fit more pretzels if you did multiple racks.  I also think some of our pretzels were a little bigger than they needed to be so we could fit more at a time if we made them a little smaller next time...maybe a the same amount of dough per pretzel, but roll it out thicker and end up with smaller pretzels as far as surface space they take up.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 01:20:00 PM »
@varekai  -  I finally had time to look through all of your pics!  Everything looks great!  Did you put a little flour on your pretzels so they wouldn't stick as you formed them before dipping them?  All of mine stuck to the parchment after forming them.  I'm not sure if we needed a little more flour in the dough overall or just needed a slight dusting once formed so they wouldn't stick.  The bottoms of mine came out exactly the same as yours.

That was a fun cook and I'm still tickled over it a day later.  It was interesting to see the difference in color between our pretzels and @Travis's since he used baking soda.  Did you see my albino pretzel that apparently I forgot to dip?  LOL.  I swear I dipped all of them.  That one might have been dipped in the last round after the lye solution had settled a bit.  If I am remembering correctly I pushed the second pretzel of that round into the water up and down a few times to stir up the lye that had settled.  I haven't tried that one yet, I'll have to see if it still tastes the same or not.  It smells like a pretzel, but it was also in a bag with the other leftover pretzels.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 01:57:21 PM »
Makes sense Mike. All the pretzel cooks looked great fellas!

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 06:19:20 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed , no flour, but I only made four for a test run...I loaded them onto a wire skimmer and let them into the lye bath one at a time and pushed them under a couple times and removed to a parchment lined cookie sheet... I was also trying to find a weight that made a decent size. So after the initial 4 I was pretty stoked but had to start dinner, I want to make some pretzel buns with the remaining dough for burgers and more pretzels of course. This was a blast!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.