Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Varekais' Pretzel bake..  (Read 1867 times)

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Varekais' Pretzel bake..
« on: February 11, 2017, 09:50:29 AM »
And we're off, ran to the store this morning to get some things to sous vide some New York steaks later today and some other things so the rest of my day would not be interrupted... ON TO PRETZEL MAKING!!!!

I got everything all set up, Mise en place, for you culinary artistes, careful to weigh out everything. Whipped out the kitchen aid, I miss using that thing, and dumped in the ingredients as instructed. Now, this felt weird, usually you combine WARM water with your yeast to bloom and add sugar to "feed" it, not here. My butter was cold, so I warmed it as there was no instruction to cream or melt. All the dry ingredients went in the bowl and I used the dough hook to combine them...then I added the softened butter and then the water. I got close to a ball but needed a tad bit more water to pull it together..now it's sitting in the oven, with the door propped open, no heat, just resting...will follow up later.......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/varekai/albums/72157680222913865

Untitled by Darin McMaster, on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:52:54 AM by varekai »
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Varekais' Pretzel bake..
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 09:53:16 AM »
Untitled by Darin McMaster, on Flickr
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 04:34:05 PM »
First try is over...  Now, I am a self professed pretzel connoisseur.  I grew up on Mister Pretzels, Rolled Gold and Snyders, I've tried others, some good, some sucked! I LOVE soft pretzels, When I would go to the mall, the first stop was wherever the soft hot pretzels were being made, BEFORE the crappy "Gourmet" ones came about. I ALWAYS have at least 2 bags of pretzels on hand, There is always a bag here next to me, they are my GO TO snack! So with ALL that being said, I am proud to say I FUCKING NAILED THIS!!!!! YEA, thats my horn, and YES it's tooting!   a tad overcooked for my liking but I was following directions, I'll tweak next time. so now I still have dough, I want to do some pretzel bites and make some hamburger buns. And when thats gone I'll make more!  A big thank you to @5onia for the recipe and @Cellar2ful for the "challenge"... This was fun!!!

below takes you to a video in my pretzel album

O.M.G.!!!!  NAILED IT! by Darin McMaster, on Flickr

WEBERNV

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 04:47:23 PM »
That looks amazing, and it does look like you nailed it! Great job!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

5onia

• Smokey Joe
Varekais' Pretzel bake..
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 04:55:13 PM »
Yep you so fucking nailed it,  looks amazing!!!! [emoji106] Now I'm craving pretzels[emoji30] My first attempt at pretzels ended up in the trash [emoji23] Well done!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 05:01:27 PM »
You've got some completion coming your way!!!  Just wrapped up my pretzel cook too.  I'll post soon.  Yours looks amazing!!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed , LOL, Bring it Bud!!  Cant wait to see yours, did you bake them on a grill? I ended up doing mine in the oven... maybe tomorrow on a grill.

@5onia , Thank you!!  Your the reason this came about!  And Jim, @Cellar2ful

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 05:13:22 PM »

@MikeRocksTheRed , LOL, Bring it Bud!!  Cant wait to see yours, did you bake them on a grill? I ended up doing mine in the oven... maybe tomorrow on a grill.

@5onia , Thank you!!  Your the reason this came about!  And Jim, @Cellar2ful

Did I bake them on the grill???  LOL.  Of course I did.  Used almost a full 18.6lb bag of KBB on the Ranch!!!! 

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 06:06:35 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed , dang... you get extra points for that.  I know the other day you weren't sure you'd get too.  But you know the drill, no pics, didn't happen!...LOL

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »
I've got pics.  Here's a crumb for you until I do my full post!!!!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 06:20:13 PM »
I've got pics.  Here's a crumb for you until I do my full post!!!!

NICE!!!  ;D ;D ;D  Looks like yours turned out great too!!  Can't wait to hear all about it!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 06:23:46 PM »
Some good some bad.  Definitely some lessons learned and nailed one batch.  I didn't use any Smoke wood and Dennis and I didn't really notice any Smoke flavor so I think the next pretzel cook might be in the oven.  Was fun to do it on the grill though.  Especially since it was my first cook over 90 degrees grill temp on my ranch.  My first two smokes in it didn't have a single charcoal!  [emoji23][emoji91][emoji91][emoji91][emoji91]

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 06:30:05 PM »
Mike, I hear what your saying about doing the next round in the oven but I wonder if it would still be better on the RK? I don't own one but I'd look at the extra capacity and think of it as a time savings. Lots of staging and destaging with the oven. Am I on to something here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 06:55:25 PM »

Kudos to @varekai and @MikeRocksTheRed for taking on the challenge.  Bonus points to Mike for using the RK. BTW, it actually was @Travis who threw down the challenge but @5onia deserves all the credit for the original idea.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 07:30:23 PM »
@Travis , Thats right, it was, good idea!! I had a blast... maybe tomorrow it'll be nicer out and I'll try the ranch version.