Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rib cook  (Read 1805 times)

Love-a-Weber

• Smokey Joe
Rib cook
« on: February 11, 2017, 11:12:30 PM »
Getting the ribs ready!

Membrane removed seasoned and letting them sweat.

Time to get the kettle ready!

Ribs going on!

Love this thing!

Cooked at dome temp 275 to 300 for about two and half hrs. Rotating the ribs every half hour misted with 50/50 apple cider vinegar and apple juice once or twice. At the two and half hr. I wrapped in aluminum foil with this. Meat side down.

After a hour or so they were feeling pretty tender. So time to remove and sauce

After another half hr or so.

Time to eat!

I love my baby back baby back baby ribs, have a great weekend. 

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Rib cook
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 04:29:04 AM »
Looks great man. Real nice color of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 05:18:56 AM »
What are you using to hold back your lump? Those ribs look fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Love-a-Weber

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 06:32:16 AM »
Thanks for the compliments, 

I use a weber charcoal basket, I start a couple pieces of lump, dump them in the basket and then basically burry the basket in charcoal, usually works pretty well.

Also forgot to mention I used a couple pieces of apple and hickory for my smoke.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 07:47:38 AM »
Man those look great!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 11:33:47 AM »

I use a weber charcoal basket, I start a couple pieces of lump, dump them in the basket and then basically burry the basket in charcoal, usually works pretty well.

Also forgot to mention I used a couple pieces of apple and hickory for my smoke.

Cool. I've always just used the straight sides of a couple of baskets to hold back the charcoal as a sort of adjustable charcoal fence, simply lighting the top in the middle. But that's pretty neat how you did it. Only suggestion I'd have would be that you can save yourself the concern for rotating your ribs if you use a water pan (above the coals) or firebricks alongside your basket side, opposite the coals. I used this arrangement of firebricks in my 26" last rib cook, and it should work even better in a 22" since the bricks will reach almost all the way across,, .

Love-a-Weber

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 12:49:57 PM »

Cool. I've always just used the straight sides of a couple of baskets to hold back the charcoal as a sort of adjustable charcoal fence, simply lighting the top in the middle. But that's pretty neat how you did it. Only suggestion I'd have would be that you can save yourself the concern for rotating your ribs if you use a water pan (above the coals) or firebricks alongside your basket side, opposite the coals. I used this arrangement of firebricks in my 26" last rib cook, and it should work even better in a 22" since the bricks will reach almost all the way across,, .

Thanks!  for the suggestions greatly appreciated,  I have used a water pan at times, never bricks might be worth looking into?  I have a problem with looking at my meat😊 while cooking,  I am considering getting a slow and sear but not sure just yet, but that would solve the moisture supply issue,  and nice weber 26!!!! there is so much stuff to buy!! Its crazy I also want a rotisserie but haven't made the plunge.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 01:04:36 PM »
@Love-a-Weber - Love-ya-name, love-ya-ribs!  Great cook!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Rib cook
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 01:25:20 PM »
Love-a-Weber, about the only time I ever use water in a kettle is if using a rib rack, since I want to add a bit of steam to help protect the top edges of the ribs. Especially if you wrap, I wouldn't mess with it. As for messing with or checking during the cook, supposedly it's ok as long as you don't cook too slow because of heat recovery times. Speaking of heat recovery, the thermal mass of the firebricks might help a bit with that. Mine were real cheap at a local brickyard. My 4 brick set up still gets oxygen to the coals since I'm using charcoal basket sides, and the two in the bottom raise the others to the cooking grate for more heat deflection while making it possible to hold more charcoal. Oh, and I stretch a large piece of foil across the bottom, tight to the sides and bricks. Not only does the foil keep the bricks clean, it helps contain drippings and directs air toward the coals and away from the meat. 

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:30:53 PM by kettlecook »