Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: need input from sous vide users  (Read 1034 times)

varekai

• WKC Ranger
need input from sous vide users
« on: January 23, 2017, 09:01:04 PM »
Here's the scenario, I just removed a pork picnic shoulder from it's 36 hour "bath", my sous vide ran at 140 degrees. Now, what I'm thinking, instead of pulling right now, I put it in the fridge. Tomorrow I will put it on the smoker to see if I can get a bark on it and some "flavor". Has anyone done this yet? Tell me if it sounds plausible or not... thanks.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: need input from sous vide users
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 05:27:26 AM »
Serious eats seems to have the best sous vide information from what I've found so far.   I'm just concerned that if your meat chunk is cold you are going to have to warm it back up in the sous vide before you finish it on the grill.  I'm not sure if you will be able to heat it back up in an hour or two or if it will take longer.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/07/food-lab-complete-guide-smoky-sous-vide-pork-shoulder.html
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 05:39:14 AM »
Thanks @MikeRocksTheRed I plan to follow that guide next weekend if I can get my butt unfrozen in time. I'll report my findings. Brings up a good question through. If you already sous-ed a shoulder at 145, can you re-vide it at 165 to get it to pull apart, or is it unwise to re-heat at a higher temp for another 18 hours?
Retired

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 05:48:18 AM »
Thanks @MikeRocksTheRed I plan to follow that guide next weekend if I can get my butt unfrozen in time. I'll report my findings. Brings up a good question through. If you already sous-ed a shoulder at 145, can you re-vide it at 165 to get it to pull apart, or is it unwise to re-heat at a higher temp for another 18 hours?

I have no first hand experience at cooking large pork cuts sous vide, but in doing it at a lower temp for a long time you have already cooked down all of the fats and connective tissues so I wouldn't think a second run at a higher temp would have good results.  I would say that if your end goal is 165 I would sous vide it at 165 the entire time.

I just read through the link a little more...interesting that the author speaks directly to using a kettle and how a smoke ring is just cosmetic. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 05:57:22 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!