Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: National Soup Month 2017  (Read 1826 times)

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
National Soup Month 2017
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:31:35 AM »
January is National Soup Month, anyone have any ideas for for a few good great soups that we can grill up?

I have a few...
   Chicken Soup
   Portabella Mushroom Soup
   Irish Stew (I count this as Soup 🍜)
   Chicken Tortilla Soup

Any others? My wife has been making soup so far Oven and now it's time for me to do some kickass Soup on the grill ;D
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: National Soup Month 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 08:20:49 AM »
I'm interested.  I make a killer chicken soup on the stove.  I'm not always a big fan of soups with grilled meats in them, so I'm not sure if I would like my chicken soup on the grill or not.  I suppose cooking in a dutch oven on the grill would be considered soup on the grill and not add all of the smokey grill flavor that I'm not sure if I would like in my soup.  I like the idea of a WKC Super Soup Off!

Just thought of this one....a pulled pork and bean soup.  That would be good!  Like Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup kicked up about 25 notches!  Or smoked ham and bean soup.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 01:39:01 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed  I have made chicken soup on the grill many times, and many more.... and it turns out great.

I would hope think that if anyone that needs any help from anyone in of the WKC Brothers we would be helpful with wherever we  can. ! Iknow I will! 

Have fun and keep grilling

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 01:49:17 PM »
I love chicken tortilla soup now I'm thinking of doing a nice Mexican rub for the chicken on the grill and doing the whole rest of the soup on the grill in a DO thanks for the thought @shoestringshop @MikeRocksTheRed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 05:47:10 PM »
Making my chicken tortilla 1/12/17. Can't wait! I'll post some pictures during. Was going to-do it tonight but got home to late and WOW heavy rain tonight.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 06:49:03 PM »
Instead of ham hocks, I have used leftover pork ribs (no bbq sauce on the ribs) in great northern beans, with very nice results. When I do a rotisserie chicken on the grill, I will use the carcass to make stock for a soup base too. Both of them left a very tasty mild smokey flavor, that was definitley there, but not overpowering.

@Shoestringshop ...looking forward to what you come up with!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:50:52 PM by Jason »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 07:33:32 AM »
Love this idea for a thread.  (And possible monthly threads based on this national food calendar: http://www.tfdutch.com/foodh.htm)

Thanks, @shoestringshop, you have me brainstorming soup ideas.  Definitely a task suitable for dutch ovens.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 10:58:38 AM »
Love this idea for a thread.  (And possible monthly threads based on this national food calendar: http://www.tfdutch.com/foodh.htm)

Great Idea.  Everyone's always looking for new recipes

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 07:04:55 PM »
Basque Vegetable Soup

This gets served as part the "setup" at Basque restaurants here in Bakersfield. We have a large Basque community here, and the food is great. The restaurants are fun places.

The "setup" comes with every meal, and goes something like this: bread, soup, beans, salsa, blue cheese, a vegetable, a green salad, spaghetti, pickled tongue, french fries. That is all before your entree. And you are welcome to seconds, thirds, or whatever - they will keep bringing food out. Yes, many people just order the setup.

This soup is a quick and easy recipe to knock out, and you can vary the ingredients to your taste and pantry.

1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 small head of green cabbage, chopped
2 large russet potatoes, chopped
2 qt chicken stock
1 can 15 oz whole tomatoes
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Pinto beans
Salsa

Heat a pot to medium, add oil, onion, celery, cabbage, garlic, salt and pepper. Saute until the vegetables are soft. Add tomatoes, potatoes, thyme, and chicken stock. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Cook until potatoes are soft.

Serve bowls with added beans and salsa to taste. French bread with butter on the side.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 07:31:43 AM »

This recipe is from the Restaurant at Wente Vineyards in Livermore. Great recipe because it incorporates the use of your Weber. Not for the faint of heart as it takes a bit of work. I have made it several times with my homegrown heirloom tomatoes. 

Charred Tomato Soup with Grilled Bread & Crème Fraiche

Nothing says summer like sweet, juicy, homegrown tomatoes and a hot grill! We’ve been serving this soup in The Restaurant, making it from the fresh tomatoes out in Diane’s garden. This delicious recipe is easy enough to whip up for a light meal and elegant enough for a weekend dinner party.

3 lb Heirloom Tomatoes
1 Red Onion
4 Garlic Cloves
¼ Cup Chardonnay (preferably Wente Vineyards!)
2 Sprigs Thyme
8 Peppercorns
1 Fresh Bay Leaf
3 Cups Water
2 Tbl Champagne Vinegar
¼ Cup Whole Milk
Salt
Pepper
Olive Oil (as needed)
2 Thick Slices – Sourdough Bread
2 Tbl Crème Fraiche (or sour cream)

1.   Start heating a gas or charcoal grill.
2.   Core the tomatoes, cut them in half equatorially and toss them in a large bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper.
3.   Slice the onions into thick rounds and oil liberally.
4.   Place the tomatoes on the hot grill cut side down and let cook for 5 minutes or until the flesh is nicely charred. Remove from the grill and repeat the process with onions.
5.   Place a large pot on the stove and heat a small amount of olive oil. Add the grilled onions and the garlic. Sweat over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, thyme, and black pepper,                  cook for 3-4 minutes. Deglaze with the white wine and cook for about 1 minute before adding the water. Bring the pot to a simmer and let cook for 15 minutes.
6.   Remove from heat and process the soup in a blender or with an immersion blender. Adjust seasoning with vinegar, milk, salt and pepper.
7.   Lightly oil the sourdough bread and grill it until well marked and toasted. Cut into triangles.
8.   Carefully ladle the soup into bowls, top with a triangle of grilled bread and a small dallop of crème fraiche.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"