Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Weber Genesis Made in China  (Read 13869 times)

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
New Weber Genesis Made in China
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:26:50 PM »
http://virtualwebergasgrill.com/2016/11/2017-weber-genesis-ii-first-impressions/#more-1577

Weber Grills were known to last for years and worth the extra cost compared to a Walmart Special that would be lucky to get a couple years of service from. I hate to see this, will Quality go down hill? Will Customer Support go down hill? Is the Iconic Weber Kettle next?

HeyGrillGuy

• Happy Cooker
Re: New Weber Genesis Made in China
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 07:52:15 AM »
All I'll say is the Genesis 2 410 I put together was sturdier than my S330 and the performance was spot on.

Don't let where it ships from fool you- it's still a Weber thru and thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 11:54:25 AM »
All I'll say is the Genesis 2 410 I put together was sturdier than my S330 and the performance was spot on.

Plenty of great things are made in China
The concern is portions of brand loyalty were built upon Weber being proudly USA made, as well as the eventual decline in quality that usually follows.
Cost saving measures for big brands can be a slippery slope.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 03:57:39 PM »

@HeyGrillGuy Are you affiliated with Weber? If so, please disclose.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 04:50:11 PM »
Sad.
$949 @ Ace Hardware for a 410. Made in China.
No thank you.

searching for 2 18" straight lip twist ash pans.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 06:29:03 PM »
I thought that the Gennies & Summits were US made, but the Spirits were offshore.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 06:51:10 PM »
If you go to Weber"s website, under the heading entitled "about us" you used to be able to see videos of factory tours showing Genesis grills being made in Illinois. The videos have now been paused with a "coming soon" disclaimer added for new updated videos. I guess they need time to add English subtitles so we can understand what all them Chinese factory workers are saying?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 07:21:11 PM »
I saw the new Webers Genesis up close and the quality on them is very low. A lot of the previously cast frame components such as the table ends, and front panel end caps are now cheap plastic. The shroud on the side that covers the tank is cheap, flimsy plastic. The sheet metal frame slats and frame supports are extremely thin and flexy. The grates are stainless but the bar spacing is farther apart to save on material. There is exposed wiring on the frame. The three burner internals kept rattling when I opened the lid. They are a significant step down in quality. I took a few pics and videos of my observations but go to Ace if you don't believe me.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 09:12:19 PM »
I guess the Summit line will be next? (if it isn't already). Weber is quickly becoming a Brinkmann or a Chargriller - all in the pursuit of enjoying "excessive profits". This is a total sellout. Weber wants to give their customers "Made in China" quality at "made in America" prices. The next gas grill I'm buying is going to be a Fire-Magic.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 07:08:42 AM »
I just talked with a Weber CSR to register my displeasure at Weber's pursuit to become the new Dyna-Glo grill coming soon to a Dollar General store near you. She informed me that the Genesis II is made in China, but the Genesis II LX model is supposedly still made in Amerika (but not for long I presume?).

What's the point of selling a Chinese made E-210 alongside a similar American made LX E-240? ..or a Chinese made E-410 alongside a similarly looking American made LX E-440? This is the stupidest marketing strategy I have ever seen using all these complicated number and letter sequences while some are made here and others are made there? The only obvious reason is to mix the few bad ones in with the good ones and blend them all together and assume the consumers can't tell the difference. All the while making bigger profits on the cheaper Chinese made models that are disguised in among the better made American models that command higher prices.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:02:56 AM by ramsfan »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 11:00:11 AM »
If we are frustrated with Weber and the new direction the best thing to do is to voice it with them. 

The way of the world of business is to outsource labor to cheaper areas to maximize profits.  Unfortunately with our trade agreements US based businesses are allowed to offshore labor, other countries frown on this practice.  As a result it strengthens their labor force, it also results in less choices and more cost.

I know this, I am 43 years old and I have enough older cookers that will last many years after I am gone if I take care of them.  Not sure we can say that about the new stuff coming out.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 11:08:19 AM »
If we are frustrated with Weber and the new direction the best thing to do is to voice it with them. 

Yes, everyone must voice their unhappiness, but not with their mouth. Use your wallet to do your talking.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 11:18:36 AM »

Yes, everyone must voice their unhappiness, but not with their mouth. Use your wallet to do your talking.

Maybe we already have, I know that many of us on the club would never buy anything new.  Kettles are made so well that we can find really nice ones used.  Could we be to blame for this?   Probably not.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 12:39:41 PM »
When health care is at an all time high and government regulations are driving energy costs up, what do you expect?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 05:24:17 PM »

What's the point of selling a Chinese made E-210 alongside a similar American made LX E-240? ..or a Chinese made E-410 alongside a similarly looking American made LX E-440? This is the stupidest marketing strategy I have ever seen using all these complicated number and letter sequences while some are made here and others are made there? The only obvious reason is to mix the few bad ones in with the good ones and blend them all together and assume the consumers can't tell the difference. All the while making bigger profits on the cheaper Chinese made models that are disguised in among the better made American models that command higher prices.

It's probably a market test to trend the sales of the E and LX series. Most consumers aren't paying attention to detail when they buy something these days. I don't think it will be long until thy push it all overseas. It's sad but it's the world we live in. Don't like it? Don't buy their new stuff. I know I won't.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.