Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Weber Genesis Made in China  (Read 13868 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Re: New Weber Genesis Made in China
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 07:31:12 PM »
This makes me so sad.  Here's the guy who now technically owns Weber:

Byron Trott, leader of BDT Capital Partners...the private equity firm that bought a controlling stake in Weber a few years ago.

http://fortune.com/2014/12/29/byron-trott-billionaires-banker/

Here's the phone number for for BDT Capital Partners (they have no website):

312-660-7311

New mottos:

Thinner metals, higher profits.

Made in Chicago, Wood Dale, Arlington Heights, Palatine, and Guangzhou.

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 08:00:34 PM »
When health care is at an all time high and government regulations are driving energy costs up, what do you expect?

Clearly, this new Weber management that has taken over the company the past several years is attempting to sell cheap, low cost, Chinese junk and use the quality name of Weber as a front to command premium prices in order to realize excessive profits. This will only work for a very short period of time until people figure out that Weber isn't what it used to be and then the gig will be up. By then, management will have squeezed out everything of value from the company that George Stephen spent 40 years building. Then, when there is nothing left to be had and all the production has been moved to China and the value of the brand has been thoroughly depleted, Weber will be sold for pennies on the dollar and merged with Brinkmann, Char-Griller, or some other low end brand and Byron Trott will be long gone with the tens of millions he was able to make off the deal. I absolutely guarantee you this is exactly how the whole thing will play out.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:11:11 PM by ramsfan »
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 03:16:41 AM »

When health care is at an all time high and government regulations are driving energy costs up, what do you expect?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I apologize for a gross generalization which may or may not have any relevance. To my defense, I was using whiskey to combat a chest cold last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 03:32:43 PM »
A couple of points here...
I think it's fair to say that a decline in quality is disappointing.
And it's fair to say that seeing an american company slowly shift to offshore manufacturing is disappointing.

But lets get realistic.
None of us have any further knowledge of their business and financial data.
Labeling these decisions as profit and greed driven is ignorant and short-sighted.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 06:21:58 PM »
Labeling these decisions as profit and greed driven is ignorant and short-sighted.

You're kidding, right? Are you being serious with that statement? Every single decision that Weber (or any business) makes is strictly about profit and nothing else! Weber exist for no other purpose but to create profits and the desire and greed for more profits. If it didn't, they would be out of business.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2016, 09:58:25 PM »

You're kidding, right? Are you being serious with that statement? Every single decision that Weber (or any business) makes is strictly about profit and nothing else! Weber exist for no other purpose but to create profits and the desire and greed for more profits. If it didn't, they would be out of business.

I'm not kidding.
And you're making my point for me. Business is all about profits. If they didn't, they'd be out of business.

What I'm saying is, you guys are painting this very negative as if these corporate folk are moving genesis manufacturing to china so they can afford a 3rd Ferrari.
In reality, none of us know JACK SHIT about the business details. And even if we did, most of us aren't qualified to judge the decisions anyway.

Moving manufacturing overseas isn't always about maximizing profits.
It's usually about surviving.
I'm just like the rest of you, I don't like it, and I also DO NOT KNOW WHY it is happening.

My concern is the witch hunt mentality that often happens. Everyone is welcome to an opinion, and everyone can speculate all they want... but things have gone too far when negative labels and personal information starts getting tossed around based on pure speculation.

------------
Want to bash the quality changes of the Genesis grills now that some are made in China? 100% legit discussion, have it.
Our community is the authority on Weber, and we're respected for it.
Lets try to keep it classy and objective.

BC Griller

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2016, 07:34:17 AM »
The Genesis II LX is made in the US, and the Gen II is made off shore.  Customer service and the quality control are still as strong as they have ever been.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 12:14:47 PM »
Well all I have to say is, I own a 08 S310 and when it dies I will not buy another gas grill. But that being said ibam 65 and the grills I have will out live me.
I love my Webers, more charcoal than the gaser.
But the older units are just simpler and easier to mantain. Like 65 Chevy or Ford.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2016, 04:41:49 PM »
I saw a couple of them today, they look pretty solid. But I'm no Genesis expert. I only own an old red 1000 (EE code). The height of the new lid seems to be in line with that of the Spirit gassers now. Wheels look much better in person than online.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2016, 08:36:58 PM »
Is the Warranty the same as the older USA made ones? What ever Weber's reason for relocating, it is a Sad day when American Companies choose to move and manufacture over seas. And personally, I believe its all for cheaper labor and profits. One day this good Ole USA won't exist, just look at all the Big well known companies being bought from other countries, Jim Beam, Budweiser, etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2016, 11:20:19 PM »
One day this good Ole USA won't exist, just look at all the Big well known companies being bought from other countries, Jim Beam, Budweiser, etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The problem isn't foreign countries coming in and buying our "big, well known, companies"; rather the question is: why do we sell?