Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first spare ribs cook  (Read 1552 times)

robbanton

• Smokey Joe
My first spare ribs cook
« on: September 12, 2016, 07:46:57 PM »
I decided to try the fast spare rib cook but failed miserably and ended up doing a 4 hour and some change one instead. After starting with around 325 on the kettle I couldn't keep the temp up for long after adding more charcoal and removing the water pan. It ended up cooking around 225-250 for the most part.

Here are some photos:

One rib eaten:

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Spirit E-210 GBS \ 14.5 WSM \ Q2200 \ Master Touch GBS \ Dark Blue Performer Gen 2

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My first spare ribs cook
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 11:53:12 AM »
How did they turn out?
How often did you add coals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robbanton

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 07:40:19 PM »
They came out pretty good but not as tender as I'd like. It seems as though I was adding coals every hour or so and I only used 1 basket full of coals to start with. I think if I let them sit for another hour it definitely would have been better but it was already late.

Spirit E-210 GBS \ 14.5 WSM \ Q2200 \ Master Touch GBS \ Dark Blue Performer Gen 2

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 03:57:09 AM »
Try wrapping next time. It should produce the tenderness your looking for. I grill for 2 hrs. Wrap for one hr. Then unwrap and place back on grill for saucing and firming up a bit. Works for me. It will take a few times to get it where you want any way you do it. Keep trying. Don't get discouraged. Practice practice.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 06:59:31 AM »
They kind of looked like they could have gone longer. Normally baby backs take 3-4 hours and spares around 5-6 with those temps. I just noticed there wasn't much pull back from the bone.

I did a rack of backs the other week at 275 and they never got tender, even after wrapping, and I let them run for 6 hours! Had steady temps as well. Have no idea what the hell happened. I wondered if it was the ribs themselves. Maybe just the cook too. Never happened before.

Keep it up man, you're gonna nail it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robbanton

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 07:24:10 PM »
Thanks fellas. I'm going to try baby backs the weekend if the weather permits. I definitely need the practice.