Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First cook on "Misty" (26" Copper Mist)  (Read 1155 times)

Cellar2ful

First cook on "Misty" (26" Copper Mist)
« on: September 05, 2016, 08:40:43 PM »

First cook on my newly acquired 26" Copper Mist (aka: Misty). Smoked a 18 lb turkey today with applewood.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First cook on "Misty" (26" Copper Mist)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 01:28:32 AM »
Nice cook and beautiful kettle!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
First cook on "Misty" (26" Copper Mist)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 04:29:34 AM »
Nice to have all that room, isn't it.  Lookin good man. She sure is purty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:32:10 AM by Travis »

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 05:25:23 AM »

@Travis-  Heck, prior to joining this club, I didn't even know that Weber made a 26" kettle. What really made it nice was I didn't have to insulate or cover parts of the turkey to protect it from excessive heat exposure.  Cooking turkeys on a 22",  I have to cover the wing tips and sides of the turkey with foil, as they are so close to the charcoal baskets.  With the 26", the charcoal baskets are not as close to the turkey, providing more even heat. Also a lot more head room for the turkey beneath the lid. Only problem was adding briquettes every hour. It was a two person job. I lifted the grate and turkey while my wife dumped the additional briquettes in each charcoal basket. In the future, I will probably be using my newer 26" that has flip up grates for cooking food that requires adding additional fuel. Also the newer one has a lid bail.

This is a turkey on a 22"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 06:43:07 AM »
@Cellar2ful  Are the newer 26 hinged grates a smaller diameter than the old ones? I've heard that, but don't have one to compare.

You are totally right about it being a bear to add fuel to the older, non hinged style. After doing that once I started trying the snake method. I think with that method and a turkey that only takes a few hours you might just turn the bird, but won't have to refuel. Maybe something to try later on.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 02:42:37 PM »
@Travis-The newer hinged grates for 26" kettles are made of slightly smaller diameter rods. Pretty close though. The newer grates are to large for the older flat top kettles. The grate straps are several inches lower on the older kettles. It is just enough so that the new grate wedges against the bowl sides and does not sit on the grate straps.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 05:55:32 AM »
Looks great!
I've got permission to do the thanksgiving turkey on the grill this year, a practice is in order, might just have to copy on my Chief

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app