Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brisket on the Fleetwood 26r  (Read 2261 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Brisket on the Fleetwood 26r
« on: August 30, 2016, 04:54:49 PM »
What's up fella's. After a few tries at the snake method, failing, reaching out here for advise, then having a couple good successes at it, I decided to give a 10 lb. brisket a try.

I've normally done long cooks on the uds, but this year have started using the kettle, and after getting comfortable with the snake method, I felt I could give it a whirl.

I picked up this "choice" packer cut from my butcher, set up the Fleetwood with 3x3 snake using Stubb's briquettes and sprinkling the small leftover lump pieces over the top as buckie suggested in a previous thread. Wood choice was hickory.

I got the brisket on at 4:30 am and pulled it at 6:30 pm. I had a handful of the snake left at the end.

Nice bend

Setup

5 am. Settled in around 250. Drinking coffee, listening to inner thoughts.

Ready to wrap up with butcher paper

Storms moving in

Pulled around 198. Probe tender throughout.

The bend

Money shot

Have a good one fella's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BariB523

• Smokey Joe
Re: Brisket on the Fleetwood 26r
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 04:57:00 PM »
That's how it's done! It looks perfect. What did you use to season it?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 05:08:39 PM »
That's how it's done! It looks perfect. What did you use to season it?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Thanks! I used a basic salt and pepper mix with a touch of chipotle pepper for heat.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 05:14:38 PM »
Looks great Travis!
Did you have to rotate the brisket around as the snake burned

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 05:21:23 PM »
The brisket looks perfect Travis.  I think I'm ready to bite the bullet and give one a try myself.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 05:26:26 PM »
Looks great Travis!
Did you have to rotate the brisket around as the snake burned
Thanks! Yes, I actually had the brisket in a raised rack in a pan for the first bit. I didn't get any pics of that but decided to do it that way so I could catch all the juices and it worked really well! Once I had wrapped it I took it out of the pan, back on grate level. Having it in the pan (raised) worked out I believe cause I didn't have to have the brisket in the middle of the grill. I could have opposite, but didn't have to worry about it dripping on the coals. Worked out pretty good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Brisket on the Fleetwood 26r
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 05:28:37 PM »
The brisket looks perfect Travis.  I think I'm ready to bite the bullet and give one a try myself.
Thanks! You should. That 26r did great for it. Ended up being 14 hrs. I had one daisy wheel open and the other two closed. Top wide open. Is that about how you end up running yours for low n slow cooks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:30:09 PM by Travis »

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 06:25:40 PM »
That brisket looks tasty Travis.
I think you have inspired me to do one this weekend. Glad to hear you Stubbs snake worked out also. I have had good luck with that setup.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 06:28:46 PM »
Awesome job Travis. I think I'll try my first snake next smoke. Looks tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 03:24:20 AM »
Good job, Travis. I'm more of a pork guy so I've never tried a brisket. "One of these days..."

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 03:25:18 AM »
@Travis, great job homie...looks fantastic.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 04:26:58 AM »
Travis... Simply put... YUMMMMMM!!!

Doing Brisket and Pork butt on Monday.  Brisket on the WSM at 4:30 a.m and Butt in the Performer.  Using Stubbs for the first time.

Pass on your good luck to me please.  Just hoping my brisket turns out as purty as yours!!!

Grill on!!

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 05:48:42 AM »
Brisket on the 26, it don't get any better. Looks grate Travis!
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 06:09:05 AM »

Looks very good. Never cooked a brisket on a 26er. .....this could be my impetus.

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 09:20:36 AM »
Next day brisket sandwich on Texas toast with creamy Cole slaw and homemade bread n butter pickles. Along with a light beer. Damn boys, it's a good day!

One tip for warming a brisket up the next day is to do it in the oven. Not the microwave. 350 for 30 minutes. It doesn't cook it, just warm it. The microwave will dry it to shoe leather.

Thanks for all the kind comments and good luck with your upcoming cook jeffrackmo! I'm sure it's gonna turn out delicious!!