Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Twist on PSB - pineapple pulled pork  (Read 1747 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Twist on PSB - pineapple pulled pork
« on: August 13, 2016, 08:36:33 PM »
My girlfriend is leaving a week from today for a year long program for school, so we sent her off with a little party. She requested tropical as the theme.

Pepper Stout Beef is such a good party dish but it's hardly "tropical" so I used the concept of smoke then braise with some pork butts.

***This made 2 pans of pork, 1 butt in each foil pan***
2 5lb bone in butts
1 can chunk pineapple in juice
1 can chunk pineapple in heavy syrup
1 can crushed pineapple in juice
1 bottle high quality cream soda
3 oz high quality aged rum
2 sweet onions, sliced
1 large red onion, sliced

Acquire pork butt, hit it heavy with salt and pepper, then a 50/50 mix of brown/white sugar

It sat overnight, it would probably be better to do the sugar right before going on the grill, but I had to start it at 3am to make lunch, and that was that  8)

3am wake up, light the grill, on by 3:35am with some cherry wood chunks and Stubbs. My focus was off

Around 9am at about 160 internal

Into the foil pans, on top of onions (the one on the right has a couple sliced Fresno chiles but had to keep it mild for the crowd)

Split the cans of chunk pineapple (1 in juice, 1 in syrup) between the 2 pans, adding all juice and syrup. Pour 1 bottle each cream soda over the pork, add a couple ounces of rum to each pan

Split the can of crushed pineapple on top of the 2 butts

Wrap tightly with foil and put back on the kettle (I put one pan in the basement and one pan on the cooking grate), cook until fall apart tender (about 3 hours)

We served it over white rice with Hawaiian sweet rolls on the side. The guests brought several sides (pasta salad, salad, cheese plate, etc.,) but the pork was the hit. No plated pics  :( I always seem to forget that one lately.

Thanks for looking

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Twist on PSB - pineapple pulled pork
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 10:34:18 PM »
Holy crap, that looks great! I bet that was some sweet pork butt. Did the crushed pineapple sitting on the fat cap make it soggy or affect the bark much? It definitely kept it moist for the duration. What did you do with the chunk pineapple and onion? Serve as side? Man, that looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 03:18:14 AM »
I love the creativity here, Austin !!  Will be adding this to the "gotta try" list.  8)

I have the high quality aged rum on hand … Just need to find some high quality cream soda ….  ??? :o ;D ;) ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 06:02:13 AM »
Holy crap, that looks great! I bet that was some sweet pork butt. Did the crushed pineapple sitting on the fat cap make it soggy or affect the bark much? It definitely kept it moist for the duration. What did you do with the chunk pineapple and onion? Serve as side? Man, that looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pieces that had a nice texture before going into the foil pan kept a nice texture. Onions and pineapple all stayed mixed in with the pork and went along with it in big tong-fulls!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 06:07:09 AM »
I love the creativity here, Austin !!  Will be adding this to the "gotta try" list.  8)

I have the high quality aged rum on hand … Just need to find some high quality cream soda ….  ??? :o ;D ;) ;)

I used Henry Weinhards. If you can find a craft root beer there's probably a good cream soda sitting next to it. I recall @1buckie using root beer in something and it always sounded a little weird to me but he said that after cooking it didn't taste like root beer and left a nice sweetness behind. This worked a lot like that and didn't leave anything too distinctive behind.

I'm sure it would be fine to use what you can find :)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 08:47:58 AM »
Good Show!!!!

I used Barq's in "Pepper Stout Root Beer" beef.................. 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 11:26:45 AM »
I like the twist.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 02:47:45 PM »
I will have to try my hand at this!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 08:02:41 AM »