Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cubano Sandwiches  (Read 3177 times)

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
Cubano Sandwiches
« on: August 08, 2016, 04:29:58 AM »
Cheap=ass picnic from the discount bin.  12 hours in mojo marinade then slow cooked for 8 hours indirect.  Basic Minion method - no gadgets or accesories.  No smoke other than the hardwood charcoal.

Let it rest wrapped up in foil and a towel and left the vents open just enough to keep the fire from going out.  A couple of hours later removed the lid and opened the damper to let the coals come back up while I assembled the sandwiches.  Grilled the sandwiches on direct heat using my skillet as a press.

These sandwiches and especially the mojo marinade have always intrigued me but this was my first attempt making them.  I completely understand what the big deal is about now.

"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cubano Sandwiches
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 06:58:27 AM »
Those Cubano's look awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 09:44:31 AM »
After watching the movie Chef multiple times I finally tried making cubanos last week also. They were fantastic.

●|||||||●

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 09:51:13 AM »
oh man, that looks amazing.  That is my favorite sandwich but for some reason I have never made one when I have pulled pork on hand.  I'll correct this soon!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 11:13:04 AM »
@RumBar

Your photography and that venue makes that look like a cookbook shoot!
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 03:06:17 PM »
@RumBar, from a self-proclaimed Cubano sandwich aficionado, it looks like you nailed it, three meats and all! Coating the outside of the hard roll with butter and roasted garlic is key, imo. That looks great!
Uncommon sense seeker

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 12:07:34 PM »
@RumBar, from a self-proclaimed Cubano sandwich aficionado, it looks like you nailed it, three meats and all! Coating the outside of the hard roll with butter and roasted garlic is key, imo. That looks great!

Gawd I hate missing out!  What is the 3rd meat?

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 01:23:59 PM »
Great looking sandwiches - both of them ! ! !

I've never had one, but that will change!

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 02:51:13 PM »
A brief description of how to make these (ingredients) would be great! They look delicious!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 04:52:59 AM »

@OGlenn

OK - I have checked every resource I can think of and I'm unable to come up with a Cubano using 3 meats.  According to the afficonado what am I missing?  It's driving me nuts.

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 05:58:09 AM »
Well from my end I couldn't decide which ham would be better so I used both. When I make another batch of them I want to try spiral sliced honey baked ham. Sorry for any confusion.

●|||||||●

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 07:31:42 AM »
If you can find Kentucky Legend ham it is amazing.  I know it is sold in MD, VA, and NC, but I can't find it out here in AZ.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 08:47:43 PM »

@OGlenn

OK - I have checked every resource I can think of and I'm unable to come up with a Cubano using 3 meats.  According to the afficonado what am I missing?  It's driving me nuts.

My cuban friend who taught me how to make them used pernil (pork), ham and turkey---he said chicken can be used instead of turkey, too.  It looked like you had sliced ham and turkey on your version, but maybe it was just sliced ham?  edit-Sorry, I meant rumbar's version had three different types of meat.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:52:43 PM by OGlenn »
Uncommon sense seeker

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 10:02:24 AM »
I love a good Cubano and both those look pretty darn good!!

Nice work fellas!