Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: July 4th Boston Butt using Low 'n Sear  (Read 2991 times)

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
July 4th Boston Butt using Low 'n Sear
« on: July 05, 2016, 07:27:15 AM »
Been wanting to cook pulled pork on the Weber Kettle using the Low 'n Sear. Loaded it up with around 50 Stubbs briquettes and then lit it with 12 briquettes as per the instructions on the website and poured hot water in the reservoir. Put the Boston Butt on a rib rack and let is cook with temps ranging from 250 - 270 for around 6.5 hours. Pulled it from the kettle when the internal temp hit 205 and FTCd it for 2 hours until dinner time. Super moist and tender pulled pork. Kids chomped it down ... A great testament to the Low 'n Sear where it held the temps very nicely for the entire cook and had enough fuel for me to grill some corn too.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: July 4th Boston Butt using Low 'n Sear
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »
Hell yes! Tfs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 09:32:18 AM »
Great looking pulled pork, @fljoemon.  Just curious, why the rib rack?

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 09:43:25 AM »
Great job!  You should be proud.  Nice cook!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 12:10:11 PM »
@BigDawg .. the rib rack is just for convenience .. the juices from the butt drip into the tray and it is easier for me to handle the tray after lifting the rib rack off and use the juices in the sauce I make for the shredded pork. No need for me to lift off the cooking grate to get to the tray which is typically placed on the charcoal grate.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 12:29:56 PM »
@BigDawg .. the rib rack is just for convenience .. the juices from the butt drip into the tray and it is easier for me to handle the tray after lifting the rib rack off and use the juices in the sauce I make for the shredded pork. No need for me to lift off the cooking grate to get to the tray which is typically placed on the charcoal grate.

Good tip - this technique would work with drip beans as well!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 12:05:56 PM »

Good tip - this technique would work with drip beans as well!

Winz

Agree, great tip ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 07:52:30 AM »
Great cook and I like the idea of putting the drip pan up top and using a rack.  Well done sir!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 10:57:41 AM »
I have never seen fries as a side for a BBQ sandwich, although it's a great idea and a natural fit.  Is that a personal preference or is it a regional variation where you are?

Dang - I'm already concocting possible spud dipping sauces in my imagination...
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 06:18:11 PM »
Here in FL fries are very popular .. so that's what I go with :-)

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 04:26:05 AM »
I have never seen fries as a side for a BBQ sandwich, although it's a great idea and a natural fit.  Is that a personal preference or is it a regional variation where you are?

Dang - I'm already concocting possible spud dipping sauces in my imagination...

I've never seen a BBQ joint that didn't offer fries as a side, from Kansas City to Memphis, so it's definitely a thing in the Midwest.

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 07:05:40 AM »
I ate at the woodyard in KC two days and got fries as one of my sides.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.