Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: "Goldie" Gets A New Home  (Read 1244 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
"Goldie" Gets A New Home
« on: May 14, 2016, 05:32:43 AM »
Just a little story about paying it forward and spreading the Weber love...

Last summer, maybe it was the summer before, I got the chance to meet and cook with all around great grillfella @mike.stavlund . Well, come the end of the day he sent me home with this fine OTG.
(Just the kind of solid guy he is)

It wasn't getting a lot of use at my house, but did sit proudly in the line up. One of my wife's friends has been starting to get really interested into charcoal cooking. (Largely due to eating over at our house and noticing how much fun it is and how much better food tastes)

She's always been really excited and interested in my kettle collection, and been on the look out for rare gems for me. So when she said she was going to finally pick up a Weber, I told her she could have this one. Genuine appreciation and excitement followed.

I got it all cleaned up for her, and when she came to pick up wanted to know what I called it. Well, I don't name my grills, but usually just refer to them by their catalog names, if I don't just refer to them by their colors, i.e. "The red" or "the lime", etc. I told her this was a One Touch Gold, and immediately she was like, Goldie, I'm gonna call her Goldie!

I got this picture texted to me the next day, Goldie's first cook at her new home.

Anyway, now she's been officially bit by the weber bug, and for that I had to apologize, because as we know there's no known cure. I'll tell you too, it was just as exciting to give a Weber as it is to find one.

RRR

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: "Goldie" Gets A New Home
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 05:56:17 AM »
Goldie is a great name. Good move WNC.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 08:08:23 AM »
I appreciate the kind words, @WNC , and I'm filled with pride to be called a grillfella.  But I think the record should be set straight.

I was in over my head, to say the least.  The little project of cooking some snacks at the Wild Goose Fest (a progressive gathering of Christian sprituality) in Hot Springs, NC suddenly turned into feeding lunch to several hundred people.  I needed grills, and I needed people to run them, and quick.  So naturally I posted up here at WKC, and this dude @WNC offered to help out.  And WOW did he ever! 

He drove over an hour the day before the cook to deliver his 22WSM... and he patiently waited for me to get back from our massive food/charcoal run.  Wasn't the least bit grumpy, and remember, he was giving ME the keys to his perfect WSM, and I was asking him to wait.  Also, I'd never cooked on the big WSM before, and I needed his coaching on the right way to time out an overnight cook of 6 butts (and of course I followed his instructions to the letter and the timing was PERFECT) (Justin also delivered a cooler that he promised would perfectly hold 6 butts, and it did).  Then the next morning at exactly 9am he showed up bright-eyed and ready to go, with two more grills jammed into his car.  And he was a total pro.  He diligently cranked out some excellent cooking in the hot summer sun for several hours, then helped us clean up, dumped his ashes, and helped us load up all of our gear.  And all the while, kindly offering his expertise.  All on a day when his wife was suddenly ill and he was needed elsewhere.  Justin saved my bacon, then fed me some perfectly cooked bacon.  You won't find a better person.

tl;dr:  You'll find the finest people at the WKC.  Justin and I were musing about this, about how people tend to think that everyone on the internet is crazy...  when they are usually just like you.  Which in the case of kettleheads means that they *are* a bit crazy, but also as kind as the day is long. 
One of the charcoal people.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 08:23:38 AM »
Great story and both of you did a good thing!
May The Smoke Be With You!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 10:06:19 AM »
What a cool story! Lots of great stories lately. I love the pic of her cooking. Very cool brother [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk