Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Baltimore Pit Beef  (Read 2363 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Baltimore Pit Beef
« on: April 24, 2016, 06:27:28 PM »
This morning I went to Smart and Final to look to see if any pork butts were on clearance (next Sunday I'm having at least 50 people over).  Instead, Beef Top Round was on sale for 99 cents a pound.  I know top round isn't the greatest, but I can't pass up that kind of deal...anyway, I bought a 28 pound slab of beef for $28. 

Went home to see what to do with it today, and lo and behold, Baltimore Pit Beef piqued my interest.  Made a rub, slapped it on, grilled indirect until 115, then seared on the coals.  Sliced the roast as thin as I could, and piled it on a plate for me and my kids.  Served on warm bollilo rolls with tiger sauce, onions, and pickles.  (I know this isn't how they do it in Baltimore, but I've never been, and this was pretty freaking good.)

My daughter loved it, and my son who tends to be picky ate the whole thing.  Plus, I have plenty of leftovers for the week!

Baltimore for the win.  If I'm ever there, I'll be sure to check out the real thing!

28 pounds of top round ready to be butchered into roasts.

nom. nom. nom.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Baltimore Pit Beef
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 07:24:14 PM »
Fine looking roast beast there
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 03:49:06 AM »
Nice use of a good opportunity 

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 06:20:32 AM »
What a deal! Looks great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 07:25:32 AM »
I love pit beef , great job all around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 07:18:08 PM »
This has been the gift that keeps on giving all week long.  Cut up for cold sandwiches last night, cut up and put in quesadillas tonight.  SO GOOD.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 03:58:46 AM »
Looks great, I have been wanting to try something like this with Eye Round as we have great results with Tri-Tips. 

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 12:47:32 PM »
Baltimore Pit Beef is my favorite BBQ. A high quality sharp carving knife really helps slice it thin in the absence of a commercial meat slicer. Looks like a good cook.

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 01:58:01 PM »
Your making me hungry! I'll take a plate Please!
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 02:02:25 PM »
As much cooking - and eating - as I've done in my life, it never ceases to amaze me that I'm always stumbling across something new to me, like this.

Wow!  What a great looking sandwich ! ! !  My only excuse is that, being from So. Philly, we have two of our own specialty beef sandwiches.  But I'm looking forward to picking up an eye or round giving your recipe a whirl!

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna